Hot to fix 4x4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hot to fix 4x4

94 4x4 explorer

Reaction score
City, State
alvin, texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have a 94 4x4 lifted 4inches on 33s, and my 4x4 does not work, its the push button 4x4 and the light comes on and everything turns(DRIVE SHAFT/ FRONT DIFF/ BOTH SIDES OF DRIVE SHAFT LINKS) up till the auto hubs(which i heard sucked for that year) and i also hear like its rubbing by the wheels as if its trying to engage , how can i fix this?

Also, if its hubs, could i possibly take manual locking hubs/ and all the rings off a 91 bronco II and basically switch everything on my explorer , and basically convert it to manual? I need help... Thanks

94 4x4 explorer...muddin till its dry.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could very well be the hubs. There are several threads about converting to manual hubs on here. The Jeep dana 35 hubs are the best and I have had them on mine for about 3 years of hard wheeling with no problems.

The BII hubs will not work. You have a dana 35 and BII's are a Dana 28.

Hope this helps.

A small number of '90 BIIs did have the D35, but most are D28s, yes (there is no '91 BII).

Agreed, the Warn Jeep hubs pt#37780 are the ones to get if you plan to be doing any decent wheeling (especially if you have a front differential locker).

Sweet, thanks, where can I grt the jeep warn hubs? I plan on converting to manual locking hubs

u can get them at any auto parts store

trying cleaning your transfer case motor and see if that helps as well.

u can get them at any auto parts store

Maybe regular hubs... But not the Warn Jeep hubs.

For the #37780 Jeep hubs try TRS Fab. I've also seen them pop up on Ebay as well as Amazon having them too.

Back