How are the newer '02+ EXs w/ V8s? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How are the newer '02+ EXs w/ V8s?

ZachMan

Reaction score
City, State
Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLS 4X4
I currently have a 2000 Ex 4x4 w/ OHV and its a great ride and only thing I've had to do is clean the IAC. Thing is I am starting to tow my atv more and more nd I wouldn't mind more power. Well one of my friends is wanting to buy my Ex from me in the near future and I am thinking of getting '00 - '01 V8 4x4, but I can't find a good deal or one with low miles like mine. Plus I love the way my Ex looks with all grey, white and black and all the 5.0s are atleast XLTs.

So I am looking to buy a newer Ex probably a 2003, but maybe a 2002. I am wondering how reliable these newer Exs w/ 4.6L are? I am not sure if I want a EB or Limited, but if its an '02 I probablly will jump on it. How fast are the Exs w/ 4.6L? What their hp/tq. rating?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

240 horses, a little over 300 lb/ft. There are no problems that I've seen with those motors; they've been around for over 12 years now in one variation or another, so I think Ford's got them figured out pretty well.

Love my '03 xlt. I've had it for 4 months and am glad I chose the V8. A friend with the V6 said he was getting 17-20 mpg so I was expecting less but that's what I get 17-20mpg depending on how much is in town driving. K&N filter and Gibson exhaust make it drive better and boosted the mpg by about 2. I usually have to flog a V6 around in the mountains so the V8 turned out to be the best of both worlds power/mileage.

Ahh, thanks.

So do the V8s get a beefier tranny? I'll be towing some and I want a little tougher tranny than whats in my V6s right now, even though shes been perfect, I just hear they can go out kinda early compared to other trannys.

Mine came with a tow package ( 2" receiver, 3.73 axle) good for 7200lbs +/-. That was one of the other considerations with the V6. The tow rating was super low I thought. As for the tranny I don't think it changes from one engine to another.

Hmm well I know on the 2nd gen. Ex trannys did change if you got a V8, so I was hoping the same with the 3rd gen., but I don't even know what tranny the V6s use in the new ones.

The newest V6's use the same 5R55E trans. The 2002+ V8's use the new 5R55W. It's new for 2002, based on the 5R55E, and has wide five speed gearing. It's the reason for the great towing rating. The 5R55W has a first gear of 3.22:1, like a five speed manual. The last four gears are about the same as an AOD trans, or our Explorer four speeds(AODE).
The reliability is suspect though, there are some issues. Ford has issues with every new transmission they design. It takes a few years for the aftermarket to tell them what they did wrong. It should be good soon though. Look to TranGo for a system correction kit soon. They are the best at fixing Ford's factory transmission issues. LOL,
DonW

We have the 4.6L and so far its been a great motor. The IAC had to be replaced, under warranty of course. The tranny was rebuilt at 33k. As CDW said, they're still a little rough. The motor has boat loads of power, but up high. It LOVES to rev. We recently put a MAC intake on it. Impoved the throttle response, and has given it an excellent sound. I would stay away from the first year though. Their seats weren't as great. Try and get ones with the headrests. Trust me, they're different and worth the wait!

We went on a trip to SD last year, and there was an Aviator that was around us for a couple of hours. We were both driving about ten MPH above the speed limit, and they passed us at different times, going up or down hill.

With my 98 Mountaineer we weren't towing anything, just three adults and luggage.
The Aviator was pulling a small trailer(U-haul size) like it wasn't there!

I wish the interior of the Aviator was better looking, I'd like one otherwise. Good luck,
Don

I like the aviator. It seems to be a good all around vehicle. The interior does need to be set apart from the Explorers some more. There still are quite a few similarities. The DOHC 4.6 should be an option on the Explorer though!!! As well as HID lights.

CDW6212R said:
We went on a trip to SD last year, and there was an Aviator that was around us for a couple of hours. We were both driving about ten MPH above the speed limit, and they passed us at different times, going up or down hill.

With my 98 Mountaineer we weren't towing anything, just three adults and luggage.
The Aviator was pulling a small trailer(U-haul size) like it wasn't there!

I wish the interior of the Aviator was better looking, I'd like one otherwise. Good luck,
Don

Man, I thought the interior of those things was great. I can't believe they're not selling better. Every review I read of them said the engine was amazing, the handling excellent, and they liked it overall. The only problem is it looks just like a dang Navigator, they need more differentiation.

My parents got an 04 V6 and it is worlds better than my 98. I know that mines 6 years older and everything, but the 04 is just way more refined. Everything is better, well, except that i can hear the valves opening and closing on the 04 and not on my 98, but thats not a mechanical problem by any means. The tranny is way better too, we both have the 5r55e but the 04 just shifts so fluidly, just perfect. I wonder how it will do once it gets some real miles on it though.

jayhawkexplorer said:
Man, I thought the interior of those things was great. I can't believe they're not selling better. Every review I read of them said the engine was amazing, the handling excellent, and they liked it overall. The only problem is it looks just like a dang Navigator, they need more differentiation.

And they cost almost the same as a Navi, which is their biggest problem.

Aviator= 300 HP DOHC 4.6 V8!

I have the 4.6 in my '97 Bird. Great motor and very reliable. 120,000 miles so far and nothing but a cracked intake (common problem on 96-97 4.6 v8s).
I would go for a V8 Explorer or Mountaineer. I'd hope there is some beefed variant of the truck 4R70W and not the 5R55 tranny as the 5R55 is designed for minivans and ranger trucks. I'm paranoid about the tranny in my '98 X since I've learned more about it.

B

My 4.6L V8 Mounty is great. When I went shopping for this truck I made sure I'm only looking at the V8's... It was something new after driving 4 different Explorers with the V6. I bought a Mercury because I like the exterior ( the looks) and upscale interior a bit more than the Explorer's. It's better looking (IMO) than Explorer and looks more business like (I'm in Real Estate). Mine is a Premier (like Limited on Explorer I think) with AWD. This truck is like a rocket, lots of spare power. Too bad though that with my driving style right now I'm getting about 15 mpg average (city/highway) - but there is no other way of driving it with that V8 beast under the hood.
Towing was on my mind also when I chose the V8 - truck came with a towing package - 2" hitch. I was also considering buying an Aviator but think that paying 10 grand extra for just the Lincoln bage on the liftgate is not really worth it. I was even thinking lately about converting the front and rear ends of my truck to Aviator... ;)
V8 rocks!

Back