how big of a shot of NOS? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how big of a shot of NOS?

Ok, the nice weather is here and I'm really starting to miss my camaro. I figure a bottle of NOS in my explorer would help :) I have the 4.0SOHC. What is a safe shot to put on?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I ran a 100 shot ZEX kit (dry kit) for about year. Went through about 8-10 bottles, on the street and track. Even forgot about having it in low gear, and bounced it off the rev limit on spray. No problems with it. The best kit to buy is a Nitrous Express 20922 kit. It is adjustable from 35-150 hp. It is alot safer, since it adds the extra fuel needed w/ the nitrous. Make sure you run colder plugs, NO PLATINUMS! I had ZEX plugs in mine, ran pretty good to me. I ran a 14.1 sec at 99mph 1/4 mile w/ 100 shot. That's keeping up real good your old Camaro (assuming it was stock). I was also running an MSD DIS-4 ignition, it allowed me to retard timing 2-4 degrees for that large of a shot. Let me know if you have any ?'s about this setup.

Awsome ben. That helps a lot. I think I would go with NEX or maybe Venom. I had NOS for the camaro but crashed before the install and sold it. I got two simple questions. Where'd you mount the bottle and the switch in the EX?

And wait, reading over I see you said ZEX not NEX, what is ZEX? never heard of it.

Nitrous Express or NX is at www.nitrousexpress.com
and ZEX is at www.zex.com
the zex is a dry kit comes with one fogger nozzle and injects nitrous only into the intake stream.
The NX is a wet system (20922) and is a single nozzle that injects nitrous and fuel into the intake stream. The wet is alot safer at higher power ratings. The zex kit uses a central "brain box" that contains all the solenoids and switches. It is the easiest to install, but I would go w/ the NX after using them both in the past. I mounted my switch on the lower front side of my center console, it was hidden, but easily accesable. The bottle I mounted in the cargo area.

199445_9_full.jpg

I'd say shoot no more than 75 hp, just to be safe

Thanks a lot ben, you've been a big help, I gotta finish up my graphics, get a rack and spare on my roof and then it's NOS time! :bounce:

I think I would go with a 75 too. at least to start.

Ok I've never had nitrous on anything. I've never driven or rode in a car with nitrous so I can't say I know what it feels like or how great it is. However, I have seen Gone in 60 Seconds on DVD like 10 million times and every time Nicholas Cage hits the "Go Baby Go" button and Eleanor takes off to 160, I gotta admit it makes me wonder too...

Personally though, I wouldn't put nitrous on a 4.0L. Not if you plan on keeping it for very long. There's just no way in hell that a 4.0L can stand up to it and have a long life. I'm not saying if you run nitrous your motors gonna explode. Course not. I just have never though 4.0Ls were that great.

A 5.0L would be friggin awesome with nitrous. I have a 5.0L, and yes in a way nitrous is an excellent alternative to supercharging when it comes to adding power for the price. But obviously unless you got a really, really, REALLY big nitrous bottle you're not gonna have that extra power for more than a few seconds. Plus I'm not sure what it costs to have the bottle refilled every time, so that may get expensive. I know one thing for sure, if I had nitrous I'd certainly use it, so I'd definitely be getting my bottle(s) refilled quite often.

A question for anyone who's actually had nitrous on a 5.0L....

Do you think its possible, if you sprayed the nitrous early enough to do an all-wheel drive burnout? :D :D :D

Man that would be great. I'd need a new set of tires every week, but oh well. I'd talk to Pep Boys and see if they could cut me a deal on a lifetime supply of Futura tires. They'd probably only charge me like $100 for a lifetime supply. Those tires obviously suck.

I have a ZEX kit and run a 70 shot. When I'm going out to use the nitrous, I tune my FMU (fuel management unit) to add more fuel at WOT, and retard my timing a few degrees. I put in colder double plat plugs also. I haven't gone to the track with the juice yet, but am hoping for low 14's. I run low-mid 15's without.

I'm also moving this to the need for speed forum, hope nobody minds.

Oh, and about the 4.0 motors. They're pretty stout, the OHV being a little more bulletproof than the SOHC. Dunno about the SOHC, but the OHV has strength goodies such as 4-bolt main bearings.

Check out my project thread on my N2O install: projects forum.

Thanks a lot Alec. Thinking abou it I guess I should just save for another camaro for the need for speed in my life :p

It's too bad my old camaro is what got me kicked off my parents insurace and is why I'm paying over 4 grand a year for insurance on the X :-(

carefull with that stuff..... bunch of my friend have burned/blow/ ignited all kinds of stuff. Most say it the best bang for the buck, id say is the last bang before lots of bucks.

troll-nosbottle-10-00.jpg

I allways use the NOS dry kit Part#5115. It makes more power than a wet kit. It is just plain and easy to install with no gimics. It is much cheaper and adjustable from 30hp to 175hp. You have to retard the timing with a MSD or a chip. You could cheat by using race fuel then you dont have to adjust the timing. I would use a larger fuel pump and if you are going to spray more than 75 use larger injectors too.

Good GOD!!!! Thats a carbon fiber bottle isn't it? thats a damn big amount of cash!

Yes!

you *******!!!!! i want one!!!!!!!!

Troll has top of the line everything on that X, makes me drool

Its only $500 bucks but only big boys are allowed to use one. LOL

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

damn i just checked out his sig.....what the hell does that thing run on a track? BTW, thats Mister GTboy to you :) that my title on stangnet.com. i may be a kid, but i can hang with the big boys :) if i didn't have a plastic intake, id already be running nos, but im not in the mood to blow my engine, unless i could get ford to throw a new one in for me :bounce:

Back