Went to the dyno today | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Went to the dyno today

I finally ended up going to the dyno and let me tell you I am trading in this damn truck at the end of this summer.

Here are the mods that I have done.

Full air intake
BBK Throttle body
Apten Chip
Bosch Platinum plugs
Magnecor Spark plug wires
Flow Master Exhaust.
75 shot of nos

End results 148.2 hp and 168.7 ft lbs of torque.

Thats with out the juice due to the fact that my chip is either not working or not doing what it is supposed to do with the nos setting. When I flipped the chip to the nos setting my air/fuel ratio stayed the same. Huh go figure.

After we found out the chip wasnt working we decided to spray a small shot of nos. Come to find out the nos solenoid that I got from summit racing was no good. It wouldn't close at all so basically when I opened the bottle, the nos went right into my engine regardless if I hit the switch or not.

The truck didn't like the dyno at all and in third gear would not go above 4400 rpm's (I have no clue why) so all pulls had to be done from second gear. Im just so upset with the amount of money I have put into this thing for nothing. Normally I wouldn't care but I am supposed to be going to the track on fri. because me and my friends rented it out for the day. I refuse to go up there with a 18 sec. exploder.

Well sorry for the long rant but im pretty pissed off still.
Im looking at a new Nissan Sentra s-er with the vspec option right now.
Good news is my sister just bought a 94X so I will be lurking around needing help for that.

If anyone wants any parts I listed above or anything stereo related wise let me know. Im even willing to part out the nos kit (all it needs is a new solenoid and a bottle).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So, you bought a 165HP SUV, added a few bolt-ons, and are now disappointed that it isn't fast?

Ummm... 148.2 HP SUV, Robb.;)

I think you got the wrong intentions when you bought your Ford Explorer. If you wanted a vehicle that responds REALLY well with mods, don't get another truck, get a Mustang.

Im mad that I spent all this time and money on it. Figure the truck came with 165hp at the crank, normal drivetrain loss is 15% that would be 140.25 hp at the wheels. Im pissed that I spent about $800 excluding the chip and nos for 7.95 horsepower at the wheels. Thats what im pissed about.

Im deffinately not looking for another truck the nissan s-er vspec is a 175 hp 4 banger car that loves boost.

=/ sorry dude i know that sucks

get a supra twin turbo =o

you can mod it to hell and back and pull some NASTY numbers at the dyno

What did you expect????more than 25% gain?

Stock the ex gets around 115hp you added basically a Throttle body, an exhaust, and a chip- if its working correctly, which from the numbers would tell me it is, but not ideal.Those numbers are on the high side if the chip isnt working, and close if it is. I would expect most of the gain to come from the reprogramed chip The Exhaust and TB are worth maybe 10-15hp IMO. You got 30+ hp or an increase of 25%. Thats pretty darn good.
You spent little money (plugs wires etc dont count- IMO most of the gain comes from replacing worn out stuff- things that let more air/fuel in or out are "real" mods) and got 30+ hp- with little time and expense.

Sounds pretty good to me, and with a little time to straighten out and tune the nitrous you will be making decent power. Its still a 4000lb + truck and getting down the track takes real power- which a few bolt ons are not going to do.

Good Luck.

Indifference126 - I would love a supra MKIV but the price of those are rediculous. Plus I would like to actually have something with a warrenty.

Stevevb - how do you figure 115 hp stock. The OHV comes with 160-165 at the crank, normal drivetrain loss is about 15% which should be about 140hp.

Aldive I was to upset when I left the dyno. I was there for 4 hours and was just getting more and more upset. They asked me if I wanted my sheets and being as mad as I was told them no. I remember what everything was at if you are looking for something specific.

The Explorer has more than 15% driveline loss, closer to 25%. A stock OHV has about 120 hp on the dyno. Thus, you now have about 190-195 at the flywheel. That number is very respectable with just bolt-ons.

Also remember that peak hp and tq aren't everything. Your power curves are probably flatter than stock, meaning you may have gained as much as 50 hp at certain points in you RPM band.

As for the dyno difficulties, I did my runs in second gear also and we also hit the limiter. This is normal for many vehicles, not just Explorers.

In summary, nothing is wrong with your truck; maybe you're just expecting too much from some bolt-ons and wishful thinking.

Wow maybe I am expecting to much from it. I didn't know that the driveline loss was that much for a 2wd vehicle. Im still upset about the chip not working properly though. That was my whole reason for going was to find out what size nos jet I could use.

Originally posted by rydinhigh
Stevevb - how do you figure 115 hp stock. The OHV comes with 160-165 at the crank, normal drivetrain loss is about 15% which should be about 140hp.

All the dyno runs Ive ever seen with stock 4.0s either the Explorer or Ranger have been between 112-119 hp measured at the wheels. It really doesnt matter what the hp rating from the factory literature says, everyone uses the same or similar dynos to judge their progress. Those stock dyno numbers come from before and after tests on actual vehicles and there are enough of them floating around that I would use them for a baseline rather than using some "% driveline guess"off of a marketing HP number. The stock 160hp number is just not important since we have plenty of tested 4.0 combos that are in the 115-120 range.

Even if you were mad - you paid for the information, and now you really cant use it. The dyno sheets are not just to see a number- its a tool.

Good Luck

Originally posted by rydinhigh
Wow maybe I am expecting to much from it. I didn't know that the driveline loss was that much for a 2wd vehicle.
Also remember that, even tho you are only turning the rear wheels, you do have a transfer case which power is being lost through.

Robb, maybe I read something wrong but doesnt he have a 2WD X.:confused:

Mike I feel for you Man. You were so excited about this dyno session. Sucks you were disappointed. Maybe you just expected a little to much. Are you happy with yuor X besides the numbers? Get a hold of Brian and get him to fix the chip for your NOS. Fix the solenoid. Get your jetting straight. Put a squeeze on it. Slap it back on the dyno for a tuning session. You were psyched about your X a week and a half ago, just because the numbers weren't what you expected, doesn't mean that it is a different truck. get in that damn thing and ride it. After all lets see you wheel a Nissan, LOL
Check you Later Dude,
Jeff

Well I just talked to the guy at the dyno he told me it was 151hp and 246 ft/lbs. I guess im happy its just everything that could go wrong today went wrong. I think im done trying to make this truck fast and just enjoy it. Thanks for all the help and support guys.

246 tq at the wheels is very respectable. Remember, torque is the important thing in a truck ;)

That's about 310-315 tq at the flywheel, very nice. Stock is 240?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wow, 246 ft/lbs is great at the rear wheels.

Back