• Register Today It's free!

How bout this exhaust/headers??

Slick

Reaction score
City, State
Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Sport 2wd
I have a 95 sport, and I am considering putting on a pair of JBA shorty headers and flowmaster force II 50 series exhaust system. Any comments or info?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just wondering (not to bash you or anything, just curious) as to why you would put headers on? So it will sound better?

actually the only reason i want them is for more HP, and i have found a good deal for the headers. Are these not gonna do anything or what?

Do a search for Alec. Alec mentioned when he put headers on his X (97 OHV I think), he lost some torgue, but gained higher RPM horsepower. I believe his advice was to not go for the headers unless a supercharger was in the works (as his was), or you are willing to give up the low-end torque for the high side ponies.
Karl

Yes the reason I asked was because of exactly what karl said. Unless you want a really mean, (expensive) sound, or you want to put a blower on some day, there's really no reason to get them.

Thanks for the backup guys ;)

They're right, unless you have a serious power adder or internal engine mods, your money is best spent elsewhere rather than headers.

Slick,

Where did you see a good deal on headers? I think I see the same set and was wanting to get some too. But now I don't know.

Hey Magic, they are on ebay right now going for like $100 which is why i was really considering them, because that is realy cheap!

Were the Hedders coated or just painted?

They are stainless if that answers your question. I dont think they are coated? black magic these fit the 95 4.0 dont they? I think they should fit all 4.0 OHV engines. Alec, if i can get these for like $150 do u think it is worth it then? or no

Borla are Stainless while JBA are Armour Coated or painted--I may be wrong. Coated will last a while while the painted ones last a couple years. However, $100-150 for stainless or Coated is a great price but not so great for painted.

Fitting is slightly different for the different generations, esp 91,92 w/o EGR. Get headers that specifically say your year, as the slight variances can make them unusable. And definately get the ceramic coating if you can. Painted headers or bare headers are the worst (exc. stainless), stainless are better, but a hi-temp ceramic coating is best. Without this coating, your engine bay gets much hotter, reducing performance and possibly melting nearby parts.

But I'll say it again, you may lose low-end torque at a sacrifice for some highway ponies.

JBA Headers on eBay

The JBA website lists only chrome plated or ceramic coated headers for part no. 1633-1 for the '91-'96 OHV 4.0. I think the ad is wrong that it states they are stainless.

Headers

Header tube size will affect low end torque or top end power. Typically small tube diameters headers are best for low end torque, as one would want for a 4x4 trail machine. Large tube headers are better for top end, as a drag racer would want.

Since my automotive knowledge stops where computer chips begin (never had to know about them until this year's addition of my wife's 2001 PT Cruiser and my Explorer). I can say that I'm not sure how the computer would react to this change but exhaust modifications almost never stop at the pipe. It was very common, and still is, for Harley owners to put drag pipes (straight through, no muffler) on their bikes and then wonder why the bike either ran lousy or lost power. It was because of jetting. We often use the term breathing when we talk about engines and it's pretty accurate. Intake and exhaust are two separate but complimenting functions.

Bottom line is, if you are going to buy headers be sure they are designed/tuned for what you want to do. Also be aware that the total cost may also include intake modifications. There's nothing worse than spending money to reduce performance! Most header manufacturers can give you a good picture of what you need to do to get the best performance out of their product.

SGF

Back