How do i fix a flashing O/D light on my 95 Explorer Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do i fix a flashing O/D light on my 95 Explorer Sport

el_tri

Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer Sport
It started when off when i was driving home. I was doing between 70-75 mph driving home and the car had trouble passing 75mph and at same time the trans started flaring right before the O/D light came on. Once the light came on, the car was having hard downshifts and trouble shifting gears passed 70mph. Also right before a sudden stop the car would jerk forward and there would be a pulsating in the brakes. Then i did some research online and found that this was a common ford problem . One of the websites i found said all you had to do was disconnect the negative battery terminal and leave it disconnected for a few seconds then reconnect it. Ok, that worked for about two weeks then the light came back. Now what do i do? Any suggestions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine did that once. Traded it in a week later :)

Not sure what the problem was though.

My wife's 99 had the same problem. It was as easy as replacing the transmission :thumbsup:

I had that same time of thing happen to me about a month or so back. But I was doing about 35 mph had 3 people and an atv trailer with me. Now I am having some problems with the trans. But I really don't want to throw more money in to my ford. I mean it is a 1995 Ford Explorer sport 175,000+ and next season I am thinking of selling it.

One thing I did forget about is the very next day I took it to the shop they hooked it up to the computer and it showed no CODES.

O/D light flashing is definetely a bad sign 95% of the time.

get it to a shop and get the codes read and go easy on it.

a rebuild may be necessary. In my area (East Tennessee) it will cost about $1600.00 for a 5r55e, but if yours is a 95 model it is a different tranny therefore a different cost.

David

well my girlfriends 95 explorer sport does the same thing. its hard to shift from first to second but is fine from there on. but the o/d off light only flashes when the throttle position sensor is unplugged. i didnt know what to think but this seems like a very common problem with explorer with over about 150,000 miles...

The clip was broke on the tps and i wasnt aware of it.. After i put a new plug on it the o/d light stopped flashing, but the tranny still isn't shifting out of first without letting off of the gas pedal

my 92 eb, at 237k hasnt done anything like that
ever
:)

but i hope you get that fixed man doesnt sound good lol

, but the tranny still isn't shifting out of first without letting off of the gas pedal

Drop the pan and check if you see a piece of your intermediate band :(

my 92 eb, at 237k hasnt done anything like that
ever
:)

Brian, Brian, Brian... Haven't you ever heard of Forum Karma? That freaky thing that occurs right after you brag about something that you've never had the pleasure of experiencing? You'd better go find some wood to knock on! :D

But yeah- flashing O/D isn't a good thing at all, especially if you had those symptoms of operation when it was happening. And '95 I believe had it's own special transmission- goody!

I had this same problem with my Explorer. I fixed it by having the Transmission Fluid flushed at Jiffy Lube (yes, I know... never go there...).

This was a couple years ago and the truck has been running strong ever since.

So before you go with expensive transmission rebuilds and such, try this out first.

Same thing happened on my 2004 Ex. 1100 later, i had a new solenoid pack inside the transmission. only recommendation i have is, fix it ASAP, and drive it as little as possible. When o/d light is flashing, transmission is in FAIL SAFE Mode, where it shifts as hard as it can, in order to prevent slipping. Not good on it at all.

Fix it, Fix it, Fix it.

Good luck

Back