How do I match components to a amp? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I match components to a amp?

Redrig

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Gettysburg,PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer
I am going to put components in my doors. First question is do I do all 4 or just the front 2 and no speakers in the back doors? The reason I ask this is because if I leave the back door speakers in that I have now I think the amp will over power them. Secondly how do I match this? Im looking at the infinity reference 6800cs's that are 2-90 watts rms. Do i get an amp that puts out 90watts rms x4@4ohms or doesnt it matter as long as the amp is 90 watts rms or lower? Is a 90 watt rms system what I should go for for door speakers? I see alot of speakers and amps that are less than that.

you will be happy with anywhere from 35-75 watts rms of clean power.

i'd get an amp rated at 50 or 60 rms by 4

also, you will keep the 6 by 8s you have now out back and spend the extra money on the components so you get some great ones.

Do you mean keep the 6x8's I have now in the back and run the components in the front? If so do I just power the 6x8's in the back from the head unit?

Yea just use the head unit for the rear 6 x 8's. With the cash saved buy either a higher quality amp, or higher quality components. With a good set of components you can by-amp them using all 4 channels. I used to run a set of 6.5 MBquart (old referenz series w/ musicomp crossover) on a 30 x 4 amp. When I by-amped them, they really woke up :) . I now run a 150 x 2 amp to them and to be honest the by-amping with 1/2 the power sounded better. I think this was due to a higher quality amp. (Alpine Expert then, vs. Audiobahn now)

Back