How do I remove 12V power point on console | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I remove 12V power point on console

ROBinGa

Reaction score
City, State
Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.6
i want to replace the factory 12V power point outlet on center console of 2003 XLT with a dual USB outlet I have and wonder if anyone has removed one of those before. I am thinking may have to remove center console to get access. Any steps on how to remove center console?

** Update

So I found a 7mm screw that is underneath the rubber mat on bottom of the front “tray” of the middle console on my XLT. Remove that screw then lift the armrest. Find the gap where the upper part of console meets the main lower part there u der th3 armrest cover. Then using a stiff pry tool start prying the console plastic edge where that gap is. It should pop after steady firm pressure releasing several metal clip fasteners which join the upper console piece to lower. From there unplug the wire connector to the 12V power point and then you can take the console piece to bench.

Find a couple plastic nubs that keeps the metallic part of power outlet to the plastic ring. Once depressed you can separate the two and the whole outlet comes out of the console. I had two plastic ears to trim in the hole to be able to insert my new dual USB charging outlet and tighten it with the ring to the console.

Made my wire connections and joined positive and negative to factory connector and it works like a charm. Press the console piece back in place till the metal clips engage and replace one screw. Job done and now can plug USB right into the new outlet I installed - actually 2 if needed

Back