How do I replace a headlamp assembly on a 1993 Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I replace a headlamp assembly on a 1993 Explorer?

jaimej11

Reaction score
City, State
Miami, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT 4dr
I was hoping someone can direct me where to retrieve instructions on replacing the headlamp assembly on a 1993 Explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did this last night to change out a side marker... This tutorial works great... Just be careful... Those plastic trims for the headlights and blinkers are very weak... My biggest problem was getting the bottom loose... Pry carefully!

I'm putting Euro lenses with DRL led bar in, it's an entire single piece not like the stock ones. The company held no qualm telling me they do not supply instructions as they are meant for professional installation only. Does this guide help with this as well? I will take a pic of the ad.

Screenshot_20200721-162404_Chrome.jpg

I love how "professional install only" means there are all knowing auto wizards who just magically know how to put things together.. Park the vehicle about 20 feet from a wall and mark the headlight height pattern on the wall. Don't move the vehicle. Remove the grill, and plastic cover on the radiator support. Remove the screws that hold the chrome surround onto the light housing and pry it loose on the bottom. There are three clips that can make it a pain to remove the surround. There are 4 - 8mm bolts that hold the headlight bracket to the rad support and the front fender that are accessible by removing the chrome surround and turn signal/corner light. Remove these and the light assembly will be free of the vehicle. I can only imagine that your new lights will have mounting points for the 8mm bolts.

I love how "professional install only" means there are all knowing auto wizards who just magically know how to put things together.. Park the vehicle about 20 feet from a wall and mark the headlight height pattern on the wall. Don't move the vehicle. Remove the grill, and plastic cover on the radiator support. Remove the screws that hold the chrome surround onto the light housing and pry it loose on the bottom. There are three clips that can make it a pain to remove the surround. There are 4 - 8mm bolts that hold the headlight bracket to the rad support and the front fender that are accessible by removing the chrome surround and turn signal/corner light. Remove these and the light assembly will be free of the vehicle. I can only imagine that your new lights will have mounting points for the 8mm bolts.
Appreciate it bro. I'm waiting on my billet grill to arrive before I do swap. My ride actually has only 50965 original miles. BUT had a problem with starter hanging since 2009 til I bought it. I love this thing more than any car I've ever owned.

Back