• Register Today It's free!

How do I reset CEL

climber211

Reaction score
City, State
harrison city pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Went for smog today. CEL was on, but I knew I needed DPSE. Told Mechanic I would replace and return. he stated I had to take to Ford to get codes reset because diconnecting the battery would not work. Is this true? I always thought pulling bat cables reset the computer. I don;t want to pay 100.00 to have my codes reset. HELP!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go to Autozone; they will read and reset for free.

That was my first thought, but no autozone around here. So I'm back to square one.

Here is the hard way. Buy your self a scanner cable and program from "CarCode" by Alex Peper which runs on a laptop(about $100). In addition to giving you tons of info there is an option to erase the set codes and turn the CEL off. Have done it in my 97 EB 5.0L. Must be cheaper options out there too, but I do repair work too.
Cheers - Jerry

climber211 said:
That was my first thought, but no autozone around here. So I'm back to square one.
What about advanced auto parts? They do it too....

guys, thanks for the help. Looks like advanced auto is starting to be like autozone. They now have scanners.

Back