How do I run wires through my seats? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I run wires through my seats?

Juscelino

Reaction score
City, State
Norwalk, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I want to install my replacement headrest with screens in them, and I cannot figure out how to get the wire to the bottom of my seat. I can take the factory headrests off and put the wire into the hole, but I cannot find a way to put my hand into the seat to pull them down. Can anyone help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I havent got this far yet or ran wires in the seats but what about a clothes hanger. run it down through then tape the wire to it and pull them up through. im not exactly sure if it will work but hope it may help.

I havent got this far yet or ran wires in the seats but what about a clothes hanger. run it down through then tape the wire to it and pull them up through. im not exactly sure if it will work but hope it may help.

Although it does not sound like a bad idea, I have 2 problems. (1) I believe that my seats have airbags in them because of the tag on the side of each seat that reads "AIRBAG". Meaning I am a bit afraid to mess with those wires by mistake. (2) I looked and there is no opening anywhere under my seats. It is all foam.

Try to go down along the inside portion of the seats, next to the seat belt female end and console. Dealing with the wires around the hinge may be the trickiest part. Good luck,

Try to go down along the inside portion of the seats, next to the seat belt female end and console. Dealing with the wires around the hinge may be the trickiest part. Good luck,

Thanks for the advice and I believe that I understand what you are referring to. The problem is that I cannot find a single place to stick my hand up under the seat, whether it's the bottom, the sides, or the top.

The covers I understand are a very tight fit, be careful and gentle with what you do run through there. I'd look around on other stereo/video sites. Without knowing any secrets I might try to remove the upper seats to get to them better.

did you try folding the back of the seat all the way forward? i'm not possitive but there may be a zipper under there. i'll give my seats a look tomorrow.

did you try folding the back of the seat all the way forward? i'm not possitive but there may be a zipper under there. i'll give my seats a look tomorrow.

I did not find a zipper. It's had to explain what's under there, but I will try. There are a couple of plastic "hooks" holding the fabric from the back part of the seat to under the seat. I unhooked them thinking that it would open up a hole that I could stick my hand into and pull down the wires. However, when I unhooked them, it was still blocked off with metal and foam.

Also, right at the bottom where the pocket behind the seat ends, there is a black plastic piece blocking access to the inside of the seat. I don't know if it helps, but I have leather seats. Hope this helps (if I didn't confuse you).

so if it comes down to it take a drill, with the seat all the way forward and put a small hole to snake the wires through.

Back