How do I shoot engine sensors? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I shoot engine sensors?

sean

Reaction score
I am having a problem with a miss at Idle and bog with miss above. The miss started off really light and got worse, the bog just started happenning. I checked it cold and warmed up, MAS connected and not. The TPS is set at .94 at idle and smoothly climbs to 4.95V at full throttle, plug wires are new and on tight, plugs are new and gapped, MAS is cleaned and NO check engine light! I cleaned the IABPV even though it's good above idle, it seems to move fine. I am looking at crank trigger, fuel pump (waiting on fuel pressure indicator), fuel regulator, coil pack. I may have 2 problems if it's not the crank trigger, the miss seems ignition related and the bog seems fuel related. I will narrow them down as I go. BUT I need to know what each sensor should read and under what conditions. can any one help? Sean

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you had any luck? I seem to have the same problems with mine and have replaced almost everything except for coil pack and fuel pressure regulator and fuel pump. I may break down and go ahead with the pressure regulator first, crank sensor second and fuel pump last. How frustrating!!!

Haynes makes a book that covers fuel injection. In this book it goes thru step by step about what each sensor does and how to test it with a simple multi-meter. It also tells how to perform the KOEO and KOER tests.
Might be worth checking out. Most auto parts stores have them.

sean,

You didnt tell us what powertrain you have.

Get the factory manual it will have all of the info you ever need, costs ~$100 but well worth it, much better than the Chilton's, Haynes etc. I get one for every new (to me)vehicle I own, even if Im not doing the work on it- allows me to understand what the mechanic is telling me.

------------------
Steve VB
91 Navajo
2 1/2" Rancho,
31" Goodyear AT/S

This same thing happened some time ago, on different vehicle about 200 mi after a full tune-up. Very frustrating, but it turns out on of the Splitfire I put on it was bad, took 'em all back added a couple 'o $ and traded up to the Plat +4....worked like a champ.
Just a thought, but I have had several things that were bad right out of the box (relays, plugs...) and they can be very frustrating to pin down.
my.02

Back