How do I stop Tires rubbing Brake line? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I stop Tires rubbing Brake line?

Wasnt really sure where to post this but Ive had my cobra rims for about a year now and the rear drivers side tire rubs the brake line and it is starting to cut into it!

What do you all use to tie the brake line up with to keep it from hitting the tire? (Its just the back drivers side)

I'm afraid if I wait too much longer it will cut through the brake line.

Also is this the regular brake line or the emergency brake line?

I have a 10 hour drive to school tomorow and would really like to fix this tonight!

Thanks,
Grantp

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm assuming it is the thick wire on the outside of the framerail? is this corect. If so it would be your e-brake line, i dunno what you could do to stop it, maybe take a LARGE zip tie to hold it against the frame.

Mine is rubbing on my frame it rubbed the undercoating off in one section all the way to silver shiny metal, i have to keep spraying undercoat on there

it is your e-brake cable. all of us "R" guys have experienced it. tie it off with a zip tie, or a couple of zip ties chained together if they are too short. just dont tie it off to tight, or the e-brake will be slightly on while you drive.

Okay thanks I got a couple zip ties and tied it.

If I did tie it too tight how could I tell if the brake was slightly on? Like would the light be on on my dash or am I just supposed to be able to tell?

Another thing-
Im not sure if this is a cobra r problem or what but whenever I use my brakes, there is always a popping sound right as i STOP. Not right when I hit the brake but right when the car stop and theres is a SLIGHT jerk backwards.

The brakes aren't bad so Im not worried about that but it can get really annoying. It sounds like its coming from the back tires. Its a 2000 and is under warranty. Is that something I should have the factory check out? I have to make an appointment a week in advance for them.

Thanks,
Grant

Us 4x people use a spring, do it holds it back, but will expand when needed. Just my $0.02

ah, a spring. good idea. i just tie it back until i smell the e-brake burning when driving and then back it off about an inch...:p

Back