How do I take off the tailgate panel? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I take off the tailgate panel?

CommanderRico

Reaction score
City, State
Coldwater, MI or Marquette, MI depending on if school is in
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport
I only have a few hours to work on this project so any quick help would be great. How do I remove the inside talkgate panel correctly? I am going to use Rockford Noise reducing spray in the tailgate. I talked to our local dealer and he said it would work great. Now I just need to know what to remove to take off the tailgate panel. Thank for your help.

fairly easy pop the pins up top with a flat head screwdriver. lift up the pull handle from inside and unscrew two phillip head screws. than very LIGHTLY start from a bottom corner and slide the flat head screw driver behind panel and pop the panel up. thats about it. its really a 2 person job when putting back on but can be done with 1 person but a headache will come.

yeah, explorer94eg is right, if i remember correctly from when i had to remove mine to replace the rear wiper motor on my old 91 (i dont know if its the same on my 98, but it doesnt really matter here anyway.) just to give you another persons view of it...

you pop off the covers at the bottom of the window that go around the locking mechanism thingy. then, by the handle, theres 2 screws under the handle, take em off. next, you just kind of slide the whole panel up and off (so slide it up and then pull it towards you if youre sitting in the trunk.) its pretty simple.

I'll give my input for my 96 explorer..(a tad differnt)

You unscrew the two screws that hold on the pull down thingy (to pull the hatch down)

Pull that off after the screws are removed.

Then, where you door look mechanism comes out (by the back window) pop those two platic things off. In the right one, there will be a small philips screw. Unscrew that and then un pop all of the plastic "screws" holding it on. Then, slide the panel off

Carl

Back