How do the headlights (high beam & low beam) work? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do the headlights (high beam & low beam) work?

ObsceneJesster

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer
I am looking to replace my headlights but I'm seeing some 9005 bulbs that are saying low beam or high beam only. It seems that most cars that use the 9005 bulb utilize two of them in each housing. One for low beam and one for high beam. As far as I know, the Explorer only has one bulb in each housing. Do I need to look for a bulb that is capable of being a low beam and a high beam?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There really no high or low beam bulb. The high and low beams are controlled by a shutter in the headlight housing.

Peter

There really no high or low beam bulb. The high and low beams are controlled by a shutter in the headlight housing.

Peter

Oh okay. Cool. That's exactly what I needed to know.

So if I order a LED bulb that says (low beam only), I'll still be able to have functioning high beams?

I'm not going to out and guess on this. I don't know enough about that to give you an answer. Which ever bulb you are looking at, make sure that it is suitable for the Explorer. I checked out one LED light, LED 9005-HB3 Xenon White 6000K Headlight 18 SMD Lamp Bulb #d3 au30 Hi High Beam and it shows as not being suitable.
Hopefully someone will be able to provide an educated answer rather than a guess, which I would be doing. Good luck.

Peter

Oh okay. Cool. That's exactly what I needed to know.

So if I order a LED bulb that says (low beam only), I'll still be able to have functioning high beams?

9005/9011 are both high beam bulbs. Explorer uses high beam bulb and the shutter system covers the half of the bulb to give it a cut to look like a low beam bulb.

If you want LED Headlight bulb you want to get high-beam one however i do not know one in existence. If you buy a low beam bulb it will not function as high beam and you will need to live with just low beam.

9005/9011 are both high beam bulbs. Explorer uses high beam bulb and the shutter system covers the half of the bulb to give it a cut to look like a low beam bulb.

If you want LED Headlight bulb you want to get high-beam one however i do not know one in existence. If you buy a low beam bulb it will not function as high beam and you will need to live with just low beam.

Thank you. That's exactly what I needed to know.

Also the LED which Peter was talking about, i checked extensively online. Based on specifications (if they are true) it should fit Ford Explorer without any issues. One thing without doubt which I can say, whether they are sold by a US trader or Canadian, those LED's are Chinese made. I can never trust Chinese product unless it is stamped as a US/Canadian Company getting it manufactured in China. If I could find the reputed European/American/Canadian brand I would buy it in an instance.

Thanks for helping out. What you mentioned in your second sentence is what I was thinking but wasn't sure and didn't want to lead anyone astray.:thumbsup:

Peter

I'd just go with a 9011 HIR and trim the top tab to fit. There's a thread on here about what the best replacement bulb is for the EX, and that seems to be the answer.

I'd just go with a 9011 HIR and trim the top tab to fit. There's a thread on here about what the best replacement bulb is for the EX, and that seems to be the answer.

That's what I did. I got the PHILIPS 9011/HIR1 65 Watt. I got them on Amazon in October for about $44 but I just checked and they are $66.98 now!

They are definitely and improvement, but not a huge one. Worth doing in any case.

Back