How do you remove fuel filler housing from a 2019 explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do you remove fuel filler housing from a 2019 explorer?

B-Rich

Reaction score
City, State
Ellicott City Md
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Explorer Limited
Hi all!

how do you remove the fuel filler housing on a 2019 Explorer? I found videos of older models having three screws to remove it, but on a 2019, it’s a solid plastic piece. The spring for the door popped off and now the fuel door won’t close. It would be a shame to spend $100+ on something I could fix myself.

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't believe anyone has had that issue or at least reported it so I don't know if you will get much help with it. Perhaps someone has a little more familiarity with it. Let us know if you get it repaired by yourself. Good luck.

Peter

Hi all!

how do you remove the fuel filler housing on a 2019 Explorer? I found videos of older models having three screws to remove it, but on a 2019, it’s a solid plastic piece. The spring for the door popped off and now the fuel door won’t close. It would be a shame to spend $100+ on something I could fix myself.

Thanks in advance!
I have the same issue on my 2015. Spring fell out and door is loose and wont stay closed. Any updates on repairing?

I have the same issue on my 2015. Spring fell out and door is loose and wont stay closed. Any updates on repairing?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Hopefully the member is still following. He was last seen here on April 28th. Perhaps another member has had the same issue.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Hopefully the member is still following. He was last seen here on April 28th. Perhaps another member has had the same issue.

Peter
Thank you. I will post the end result and fix when I can.

I fixed this last year. Getting that fuel door out is an incredible pain. You need a good set of trim tools and tape around the door so you don't mess up the paint when prying the plastic out. Even with all that, I cracked the plastic and scratched the panel. So get a bottle of touchup paint.
I installed a screw and washer on the rotating arm to prevent it sliding out and popping the spring off again.
Putting it back in is easy, assembly just pops in.
Good Luck.
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg

I fixed this last year. Getting that fuel door out is an incredible pain. You need a good set of trim tools and tape around the door so you don't mess up the paint when prying the plastic out. Even with all that, I cracked the plastic and scratched the panel. So get a bottle of touchup paint.
I installed a screw and washer on the rotating arm to prevent it sliding out and popping the spring off again.
Putting it back in is easy, assembly just pops in.
Good Luck.
View attachment 423685View attachment 423686
Excellent. Thanks. I do have the luxury of practicing this Wednesday on a wrecked 2012 Explorer XLT in a local self serve salvage yard.

When I had this problem occur, I used a dremel with a cutoff wheel and did a cut along the bottom half and the upper half of the opening to cut the tabs holding the assembly in. Once the 4 clips are cut the assembly pulls right out. The new one slides right in and snaps in place.

When I had this problem occur, I used a dremel with a cutoff wheel and did a cut along the bottom half and the upper half of the opening to cut the tabs holding the assembly in. Once the 4 clips are cut the assembly pulls right out. The new one slides right in and snaps in place.
this sounds like the easiest vs pulling the fender liner etc. Can you post a pic of where you cut the thing to get to the tabs? thatd be great .. thx

Back