How heavy of an oil can I go without damaging anything ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How heavy of an oil can I go without damaging anything ?

98expo

Reaction score
I took the truck for a ride today and all of a sudden I smell burning oil. I look under and looks like, there is oil leaking from the oil pan gasket and hitting the exhaust and burning. How heavy of an oil can I run? so not alot of oil leaks out between the gasket. Or is there any kind of additive I can use ? thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why not just fix the gasket then run normal oil?

Is the oil coming from the oil pan gasket or the rear main seal or from the valve cov

Are the bolts on the oil pan tight? Is there oil on the block as well? Retightening the oil pan bolts or the valve cover bolts can and have stopped many an oil leak...

If the block is wet with oil I would bet the oil is coming from the valve covers...If not and you are sure the oil pan is the leak source replacing the oil pan gasket is not that hard unless you have 4wd...

But I personally would not recommend a heavier oil or anything like that...Find the problem and fix the problem...

it is awd and i dont have the time to fix it and its a temporary car so i need somthing temporary

Perhaps for a temp problem solver you could clean it really good then rtv around the leaks to give yourself a little time...

Creating stress with thicker oil can create more issues than a leak. Thicker oil isn't going to slow a leak, as the oil thins when warm anyway. You can dump in some Bar's rear main seal leak stop if that's what it is. If it isn't, tighten the valve cover or oil pan bolts. I would just park on cardboard if it's just a temporary vehicle. :)

im running 20w50 with no problems....mines a 92

Are any of those oil stop leak additive worth buying ? Its not that big of a leak at all. Its just when its drips into the exhaust, it just smells bad and smokes

Hopefully you don't live anywhere where they are super strict with leaks for your inspection sticker. I think the RTV idea would be the quickest and easiest. Higher viscosity oil will just lower the gas mileage a few clicks

Step 1) Find the source of the leak.
Step 2) Determine what's involved in the repair.
Step 3) Repair or ignore.

Pretty simple, really.

there is something called Whites? at the auto parts store. It costs $22.00 and it cured a rear main seal leak in my daughters 98 z28

Lucas makes an oil stop additive similar to their regular oil additive. I think it's just called "Lucas stop leak", but I can't say that I had much luck with it...then again I was trying to use it to fix a leak a little bigger than was fair to it while it was cold outside and I didn't feel like changing the pan.

Nothing is going to stop the leak short of fixing it properly, the oil is gonna flow that smeared silicone off quickly.

Nothing worse than on oil leaking vehicle, hate seeing those stains.

well the reason I dont want to fix it, is because its my brothers car and barely drives it so I just need it not to leak and leave little spots all over my driveway for a week or so

Joe Dirt is on with Bars if looking for a temporary fix, otherwise, pull the pan, clean the gasket surfaces thoroughly without any scratching, new gasket, and it will not leak.

well the reason I dont want to fix it, is because its my brothers car and barely drives it so I just need it not to leak and leave little spots all over my driveway for a week or so

park it in the street?

or put cardboard under the car so it leaks on that?

take a few min. and just give the pan bolts a snug it will make a difference even if the gasket is sloppy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back