How hot should front wheel bearings get? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How hot should front wheel bearings get?

unioncreek

Reaction score
City, State
southeastern WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer XLT 4x4
my son has had his 1993 Explorer Sport for about two weeks now. We replaced the passenger side front brake rotor and pass on both sides. He said today it smelled hot off and on. He said he could only touch the auto hub for a few seconds. Ive never had a wheel bearing get that hot. Could we possibly tightened the bearing too much?

Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i would look to see if the caliper might be hanging up. over tightening the bearing will wear it out prematurely but shouldn't get it that hot.

My son checked it after driving a while and he said it's the right front brake. How do you keep them from hanging up?

Bob

The pistons in the caliper are sticking. Best option is get a new line and remanufactured caliper and toss it on.

Brake line is new. I'll tell him to get a new caliper.

x2 on replacing both sides. If one has failed, the other might soon be near death. Do them both and be happy for thousands of miles.

Back