How long did your Servo Bore "O-Ring Fix" last | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How long did your Servo Bore "O-Ring Fix" last

bcolins

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Park (Austin) Tejas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS 4.0 4x4
I'm considering trying the Servo-Bore O-Ring fix on my 5R55 on my 2002 XLS 4.4.

Reading a number of threads, and have gotten a sense that the O-Ring fix may only work about 50% of the time, and when it does,.......that it may only be a temporary fix.

Any feedback on this?

Brian

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is more of a bandaid than a fix, as it addresses the results of the servo bore wear, not the cause of it. However, it should alleviate that particular issue for quite some time if done properly. Typically that is not the only issue with the transmission by the time it is noticeable, so there are other problems to contend with that may cause folks to feel that the o-ring job did not work.

It is more of a bandaid than a fix, as it addresses the results of the servo bore wear, not the cause of it. However, it should alleviate that particular issue for quite some time if done properly. Typically that is not the only issue with the transmission by the time it is noticeable, so there are other problems to contend with that may cause folks to feel that the o-ring job did not work.

Wonder if I could get you to elaborate on that a bit. I suspect the Servo bore issue was present when I bought this Explorer, as shifts have always been a little soft or clunky.

If I do the servo bore o-ring fix,....would the transmission at least be reliable?

I dont care if the trans has clunky or slow shifts at this point, I just dont want it to come apart on me. The truck looks brand new, and I have just put a new water pump and new tires on it. Not much room in the household budget for more repairs, so now driving my 30 year old Mercedes instead.

Wonder if I could get you to elaborate on that a bit. I suspect the Servo bore issue was present when I bought this Explorer, as shifts have always been a little soft or clunky.

If I do the servo bore o-ring fix,....would the transmission at least be reliable?

I dont care if the trans has clunky or slow shifts at this point, I just dont want it to come apart on me. The truck looks brand new, and I have just put a new water pump and new tires on it. Not much room in the household budget for more repairs, so now driving my 30 year old Mercedes instead.

O-ring of the servo bore will resolve one issue; the flare-shifting from 2-3 and 4-5 shifts. What happens is the servos wear down the bore of the case over time, causing the bore to become oblong and allowing fluid to be pushed around the servo during a shift...thus delaying the shift and causing the "flare" sensation.

O-ring of the servo bore will resolve one issue; the flare-shifting from 2-3 and 4-5 shifts. What happens is the servos wear down the bore of the case over time, causing the bore to become oblong and allowing fluid to be pushed around the servo during a shift...thus delaying the shift and causing the "flare" sensation.

Yes, I understand why this happens (that the bore becomes oblong),

The question I am asking is; will the transmission be reliable with no further deterioration if I do the servo bore O-Ring fix? I don't mind a few funky shifts,.....if the trans is reliable. I dont want it to get any worse.

Brian

I had a friend/mechanic perform the servo bore fix on on my 4.6L 02 EB with 160000 miles on it and no prior transmission work done on it a couple of months ago...I had been seeing PO732, 735 and 775 codes along with occasionally the check engine light coming on...my local transmission shop had been looking at my car for years and the owner was totally stumped by it...after I had him disconnect and clean the computer connections on the transmission because I had read that water infiltration was a possibilty, the car continued to show the same symptoms as previously...so he quoted me $2600 to replace the transmission...then I heard about AJ1E Superior Solutions and his solution...I agonized over and researched it for months until my friend/mechanic said that if wanted to purchase the parts he would do it...I should stress here that he has **NO EXPERIENCE** with transmissions but simply wanted to try doing this for the challenge...he found one of the bores to be severely elongated with a piece of loose metal floating around...I am happy to report that this fix has resolved **ALL** of the symptoms I was having and that are so often described in this forum...to this day I am sometimes still amazed by it...people need to understand just how well this works...obviously there will be cases where it doesnt work but if you are having the same symptoms as I was having (including multiple PO732's, overdrive light flashing with CHECK TRANSMISSION message, real long shifts between 1rst and 2nd, bouncing tach to 3000 RPM's and lack of power at hwy speeds) then you should seriously consider the servo bore fix...

I am not connected to AJ1E Superior Solutions nor do I have anything to gain by the endorsement above...I simply want to make it known that for some of you with this problem, there might be a light at the end of tunnel...

Regards,
Barry

6 months and 12K+ still works great.

Yes, I understand why this happens (that the bore becomes oblong),

The question I am asking is; will the transmission be reliable with no further deterioration if I do the servo bore O-Ring fix? I don't mind a few funky shifts,.....if the trans is reliable. I dont want it to get any worse.

Brian

No one here can say with certainty that your transmission will be reliable. If the fluid and filter has never been changed, then the odds are probably against you that the solenoid block is getting tired. The valve body could also have a few issues working against it. "We" just cannot say or know for sure.

If your currently experiencing prominent flare shifting, and that is your only issue, then the o-rings will most likely resolve your concern at least for some time.

It has been approximately 4000 miles since I had the O-ring fix completed.

BGN

I should add that this was done on a lift and it took longer to remove the cat heat shield then it took to replace the servos.

just completed the servoborefix, changed filter, replace 5 quarts of MERCON V, and band adjustment. now shifts into OD, a little flare in 2-3 so will re-adjust intermed band.

did work on jack stands, and only took out shields. had hard time with snap rings even with long nose bent pliers. once those were out, quite easy putting in servos and new modified snap rings.

flare seems to have resolved itself, tranny working great with the servoborefix...

I did the servo bore O-ring fix at 180,000 km's (Original servo had broken) and it now has about 250,000km's. The flare is starting to come back so I will probably replace the o-rings again soon. It's not that hard a job.

I also adjusted the bands to spec when I did the original O-ring fix and it made a world of difference. It may not work for everyone, but it saved me from spending 3K on a new trans, 2 years ago.

I plan on doing another filter/fluid replacement in about a month. In theory this will replace about 75% of old fluid and also remove any more fine metal from the magnet. easy enough and well worth a few bucks. thanks for a great forum.

My understanding from the folks that did my transmission work is that you don't have to replace the entire transmission unless something else in it is hosed...you can have any good shop sleeve the servo bores and do a rebuild for a reasonable cost, and then you don't have to worry about it again.

The servo o-ring fix works...as long as the o-rings fill your elongated bore and continue to do so. O-rings have a limited lifespan, so you'll have to replace them at some point, I'm sure...but I admit that's speculation.

And, as others have mentioned on here, the servos are a royal pain to get to. Be extra careful that you don't damage the heat shield, or that if you do, you replace it - you need it!

living on a shoestring budget every dime counts and if I can do it without too much extra $$ I do. i put the modified snap rings in so hopefully in 70K+ more miles...about 5+ years...i wont have as much trouble getting them out, saves me $, just saying.

I have now read several posts and the point that comes up is that if one loosens the band adjuster or when pulling the servo it is possible that something in there can fall out/down. I am trying to study the trans manual I down loaded but not there yet so I thought I would ask. Someone here said that if trans stays horizontal it should be no problem and another seemed to indicate that a magnetic tool could relocate the part if it moves. Any comments on these points would be appreciated since the 02 we just bought cheaply has an issue and it is at 240,000 kms.

I have now read several posts and the point that comes up is that if one loosens the band adjuster or when pulling the servo it is possible that something in there can fall out/down. I am trying to study the trans manual I down loaded but not there yet so I thought I would ask. Someone here said that if trans stays horizontal it should be no problem and another seemed to indicate that a magnetic tool could relocate the part if it moves. Any comments on these points would be appreciated since the 02 we just bought cheaply has an issue and it is at 240,000 kms.

I just had my tranny out a few months ago and did remove the servos to inspect the bores. I don't believe that removing the servo could cause the band to get disengaged. Possibly if the band was already very loose maybe it could. If you are worried, maybe must tighten the band an extra turn or two to take the slack out before removing the servo, and then reset the band tension when finished. Probably need to adjust the bands when you do that job anyway.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the reply. We are also on a shoestring budget with our expl. (as everything else) so am hoping that the oringed servo would do the job but unless my brother wrangles a warm garage it may have to wait a bit.

Back