• Register Today It's free!

How long does your heat take

fiction1990

Reaction score
City, State
Jamestown,ND
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLT 4x4 4.0
It is currently 25 degrees and I remote started my 03 xlt 4.0 with rear heat and it ran for 18 minutes and still was not even warm enough to defrost the windshield. Is this normal? Last year I replaced the thermostat and water pump, but I was having the issue before that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what thermostat did you put in ??

i live where it gets to -40 and in 18 minutes my defrost would take all the ice off the window

there are a couple of options for the thermostat, i got mine at a parts store and got the 195 degree, it works great,,

My Ranger would run for about 20 minutes and still be snowy on the windows for a few minutes. The best way to warm an engine up is to drive it unfortunatly. If a different t-stat doesnt cut it maybe consider an electric fan conversion so it has a chance to get hot.

are you getting suffecent air flow ? the fresh air door on these explorers break and fall down to block the blower motor.

It may be hot enough, but you might not be getting enough warm air to enter the cabin.

the tstat was a stock replacement and I checked the recirc doors and blend doors last year and they were fine.. is there an electric fan that bolts on or just a universal type? Also what would be a recommended tstat degree wise?

I believe the 195 is the recommended t stat, I could be wrong thou

Also what would be a recommended tstat degree wise?

On the 2002-2004 4.0 L V-6 engine, the t-stat temp range is 194(starts to open) to 210 (fully open) degrees. The t-stat housing cover bolts get tightened to 89 inch lbs. Get a new "O-ring seal" along with the t-stat.

How about the little on/off water control valve on the heater hose near the right valve cover? did the arm break off in a/c mode, maybe?

It really sounds like your heater core is plugged and you need to flush it out. I replaced a heater core on an 83 mustang once that took forever to put out heat like yours and afterwards the vehicle interior would get too hot after 10 minutes of idling.

The control valve was changed and the system flushed (including heater core) at the same time.. I forgot to mention that the water pump, radiator, thermostat, thermostat housing, fan clutch were all changed over the last year o and head gaskets. Some were done for preventative some were leaking. The recirc door works and the blend door actuator has also been changed

Back