• Register Today It's free!

How long will they last??

Aussie Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Western Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
How long do the following item’s tend to last on the Explores?
1. Ball Joint’s
2. CV joint’s (IFS)
3. Uni Joint’s on Drive shaft’s
4. Wheel bearing’s (Front)
I am just curious as to Whether I should be expecting these part’s to need replacing anytime soon the X is on 80,000 now and has a 2-inch lift+slightly bigger tyres.

Hear is a brief over view of how the X is used.
It’s a 98XLT 4WD and has close to 80,000miles or 128,000k’s on it. Up until about 55000miles 4WD would of only be used 2 times a year at the most and only on sand/beach. Since I have started using it as my main driver since 55,000, I now use 4WD every 1 or 2 month’s (Not rock hopping) Manly on sand (Beach/ Tracks), also some rutted/Rocky trails and the odd hill climb every now and agene. Then 1 or2 times a year it will see a trip with a variety of conditions but nothing hard core. Apart from that it is just used around town and on the hwy-way.

Any thoughts.

It's kind of hard to put an date or length of time on a suspension part - I've had a brand new ball joint wear out in about 6 months. Anyway, U-joints usually last a good while (I'd say 120K miles plus), and then CV-joints can last forever as long as they aren't ever bound up, boots aren't split open, or anything else out of the ordinary. Wheel bearings are hard to say as well, as it is in connection with your wheels/tires, and other things. Obviously the bigger the tires the more stress, the further out the wheels sit the more stress it creates, but they should last a good while. Just know that those wheel bearings are expensive, since they are sealed. Hope this helps

-Drew

Yeah thanks it does a bit.

Yes, I have found out that some of the stuff on Explorers is non serviceable like Wheel Bearing’s most other car’s you need to repack them or replace them at certain intervals witch is a pain but it is also cheaper to do. N/S items are good as long as they last.

Back