How many people own or have owned an Aerostar? | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many people own or have owned an Aerostar?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you get any further on your van?

My alternator went, then it did damage to the battery. I replaced the battery, upgraded wiring, replaced a battery cable, and I'm waiting for an alternator in the mail. So far the van isn't usable for a while.

My alternator went, then it did damage to the battery. I replaced the battery, upgraded wiring, replaced a battery cable, and I'm waiting for an alternator in the mail. So far the van isn't usable for a while.
That's definitely no good. I guess the alternator failed and overcharged? Batteries definitely dont like that..

From reading various posts over the years, it seems that a lot of people either own, have owned, or know somebody that owns an Aerostar. A lot of people use them for parts to repair their Ranger, Explorer, etc. I have an 88, 89, 93, 95, and 96. What does everybody else have?
I just bought a 1992 Aerostar XL with 43,000 miles on it.

I just bought a 1992 Aerostar XL with 43,000 miles on it.
Wow, what a find . I have 168,000 on my 94, was a company truck so it's just a base model I guess.

Time for an update.

My third Aero (93 3.0 V6 Rwd A4LD) became history on Easter. Motor quit. No compression. 415,000 miles. Transmission outlasted the motor. Not worth fixing. So, next week I will be spending Friday stripping it of parts that I will eventually need for my 4th Aero. Then it goes off to the local scrap yard to Aerostar heaven.

Paid $300 for it 5 years ago. Put a quarter million miles on it. Only major repair was swapping rear ends since some previous owner did not know what he was doing when he "fixed" it.

Wore out 2 starters, 2 alternators, 2 batteries, 5 sets of tires, a light switch, ignition switch, 1 water pump, both radiator hoses, 2 sets of belts, a tensioner pulley, several sets of front brake pads & rotors, 1 set of spark plugs, 1 set of plug wires, 1 clock spring, 1 cap & rotor, and miscellaneous other nickel and dime items, I think I got my money's worth.

I bought my 4th Aero (90 3.0 V6 Rwd A4LD ) 4 months ago for $100. Parked for 8 years so needed belts, hoses, power steering pump, injectors, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel pump, etc. to make it drivable. Don't know its history. Mechanical odometer says 55,000 miles. Best guess is that it really has 155,000 miles. Body not perfect but in better condition than my previous three Aeros. Mechanic says I can drive it next week. Also has several non-critical niggling issues for me to attack.

Extended model with stick that has been up on eBay for a while

Extended model with stick that has been up on eBay for a while
Hmmmm, at $8000 I wonder why it has been up a while. Looks a bit overpriced to me, especially considering the seller's feedback.

Maybe a junkyard engine or a rebuilt engine might be good if the body, and the rest of it are still in good condition. I once saw online somebody post a photo how they converted it into an electric vehicle. They took out the drivetrain, and replaced it with an electric motor.

Check that eBay listiing. Low mileage California van with zero rust, seller and vehicle are in Chicago

From reading various posts over the years, it seems that a lot of people either own, have owned, or know somebody that owns an Aerostar. A lot of people use them for parts to repair their Ranger, Explorer, etc. I have an 88, 89, 93, 95, and 96. What does everybody else have?
I have owned 2, an 94 2wd and a 95 4wd ext. Loved it for 331,000 miles

Bought a 90 Aerostar XL brand new. Then a used 89 XLT fully loaded. Now I just got a 93 Aerostar XLT plus awd.

Bought a 90 Aerostar XL brand new. Then a used 89 XLT fully loaded. Now I just got a 93 Aerostar XLT plus awd.
I forgot to reply to the wanted thread. I might have your door panels. Can you post a picture of your van?

I forgot to reply to the wanted thread. I might have your door panels. Can you post a picture of your van?
I will get a picture tomorrow at lunch.

Here they are.
door panel L.jpg
Door panel R.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back