How many people own or have owned an Aerostar? | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many people own or have owned an Aerostar?

I had the fluid problem, so I just push a soup can over the power steering fill cap. NO MORE WATER in the fluid.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From reading various posts over the years, it seems that a lot of people either own, have owned, or know somebody that owns an Aerostar. A lot of people use them for parts to repair their Ranger, Explorer, etc. I have an 88, 89, 93, 95, and 96. What does everybody else have?
I recently bought a 1989 Aerostar. Got a great deal too! I got it for $1,000 and it only has 80,000 miles on it! It even has the original owners manual and maintenance paperwork for the last 5 years or so. The body is straight, brakes were just serviced, and it has all new tires! How lucky I am!

I recently bought a 1989 Aerostar. Got a great deal too! I got it for $1,000 and it only has 80,000 miles on it! It even has the original owners manual and maintenance paperwork for the last 5 years or so. The body is straight, brakes were just serviced, and it has all new tires! How lucky I am!
Awesome. Nice find! There aren't many left with that low of mileage. I only see one Aerostar around here anymore. It sits in a driveway about 10 miles away and hasn't moved in at least 5 years. One day im sure it will have a for sale sign on it.

Awesome. Nice find! There aren't many left with that low of mileage. I only see one Aerostar around here anymore. It sits in a driveway about 10 miles away and hasn't moved in at least 5 years. One day im sure it will have a for sale sign on it.
Unfortunately I went out to run an errand the other day and it wouldn't start. It cranks and I can hear the fuel system sounds but it never starts. A friend came by and did a bit of testing and said he thought it was the ignition coil so I replaced that along with the coil wire but that wasn't it. Next I'm looking at replacing the ignition control module since that seems to be a very common issue with older Fords. I found this site while looking up procedures for replacing that module. Turns out I forgot to get the special tool needed. Anyway, I sure hope replacing the module takes care of it!

Unfortunately I went out to run an errand the other day and it wouldn't start. It cranks and I can hear the fuel system sounds but it never starts. A friend came by and did a bit of testing and said he thought it was the ignition coil so I replaced that along with the coil wire but that wasn't it. Next I'm looking at replacing the ignition control module since that seems to be a very common issue with older Fords. I found this site while looking up procedures for replacing that module. Turns out I forgot to get the special tool needed. Anyway, I sure hope replacing the module takes care of it!
Try not to just replace parts on a whim. That can be frustrating and get expensive quickly. There is a lot of resources here to help troubleshoot your van. Is this your only means of transport? What engine does it have? Im assuming its a 3.0? Do you have tools to check fuel pressure? It is possible to hear the fuel pump, but have too little pressure to run.

You might want to start a new troubleshooting thread for your issue. That should get some more attention from other members in order for them to chime in with suggestions to get it going again.

I have several of the old factory service manuals for these vehicles. Ill help as much as i can.

Try not to just replace parts on a whim. That can be frustrating and get expensive quickly. There is a lot of resources here to help troubleshoot your van. Is this your only means of transport? What engine does it have? Im assuming its a 3.0? Do you have tools to check fuel pressure? It is possible to hear the fuel pump, but have too little pressure to run.

You might want to start a new troubleshooting thread for your issue. That should get some more attention from other members in order for them to chime in with suggestions to get it going again.

I have several of the old factory service manuals for these vehicles. Ill help as much as i can.
I don't have the tools or knowledge to test the fuel system. If I have to get into that I'll probably have to put it in a shop unless I can find someone who wants to spend an afternoon helping a gal out for lunch and beer lol! I do have another car, but it needs repairs too though it does run so I'm not desperate yet. I'm hoping my friend who did some testing for me will be willing to come try again before I end up towing it to a shop. I want to check a couple things before going to that expense.

I don't have the tools or knowledge to test the fuel system. If I have to get into that I'll probably have to put it in a shop unless I can find someone who wants to spend an afternoon helping a gal out for lunch and beer lol! I do have another car, but it needs repairs too though it does run so I'm not desperate yet. I'm hoping my friend who did some testing for me will be willing to come try again before I end up towing it to a shop. I want to check a couple things before going to that expense.
Start a new thread about your van, we can help you with the basic troubleshooting.

Yes, but if if it DOES have that little candy bar sized TFI module on the distributor's casting, having an extra one with that tool in the glove dept. wouldn't hurt at all. They have always failed me every so often on 80s cars.

Yes, but if if it DOES have that little candy bar sized TFI module on the distributor's casting, having an extra one with that tool in the glove dept. wouldn't hurt at all. They have always failed me every so often on 80s cars.
I am replacing that module right now. I am pretty sure that's the issue. But of course I dropped one of those two tiny screws, couldn't find it and none of my local parts or hardware stores have any so far. I may have to order them! At least I remembered the dielectric grease. If this doesn't fix it I might need to post asking for help.

Those modules are tricky. I once installed a performance module from Accel, and it was no good. It ran but the module ran extremely hot within a few seconds, so I used a regular brand (maybe Wells)?

Those modules are tricky. I once installed a performance module from Accel, and it was no good. It ran but the module ran extremely hot within a few seconds, so I used a regular brand (maybe Wells)?
I read that these ignition control modules go out regularly. This one lasted pretty well though. I also read that if you don't use a decent brand of dielectric grease it'll go out again within about 3 mo's so I ordered some when I ordered the part. Getting the old one off wasn't so bad but trying to get the new one on is another thing. There's only 2 mounting screws but they are a really weird size and of course I dropped one and couldn't find it even with a magnet! I did find replacements that will work fine if I can get the new part to line up right. I hoped to finish it today but it will be tomorrow. I want my van back! My Forester is a great car but it needs the heads rebuilt so though it runs it's pretty rough and I don't know why but when the head problem came up it affects the power steering so parking is a real pain! I love my Forester and hope to fix it if I can save up the money. The van I bought mostly to haul things with and it's great for that!

On the later models such as on my 1995 van, Ford solved the over heating issue by rerouting the module to the front passenger's side of the engine bay. It's mounted on a heavy duty aluminum heatsink with a long electrical cable which plugs into the distributor. Maybe you could find these parts in a junkyard or online.

On the later models such as on my 1995 van, Ford solved the over heating issue by rerouting the module to the front passenger's side of the engine bay. It's mounted on a heavy duty aluminum heatsink with a long electrical cable which plugs into the distributor. Maybe you could find these parts in a junkyard or online.
I wouldn't go to all that trouble since the part isn't all that expensive. It was less than $30.

I wouldn't go to all that trouble since the part isn't all that expensive. It was less than $30.
I got the van to start yay! But now it won't stay running. I had to give it extra gas to start it and it dies when I take my foot off the gas. If it isn't one thing it's another bleh!

Need to check fuel pressure

Yea, that's something I don't have tools for, or much knowledge of. I'll see if I can find a friend who knows that stuff. Mostly my knowledge goes far enough to get myself off the side of the road. I know a bit more than that but not enough to be able to do much more than really basic stuff.

You could get a fuel pressure gauge from Autozone's tool loaning program.
I may do that if I can't find a knowledgeable friend to help 😉
You could get a fuel pressure gauge from Autozone's tool loaning program.
I got it running and drove it a little bit. It runs rough and when I shift from park to drive it dies every time unless I keep my foot on the gas. At idle it runs fine then it sort of hiccups a bit and evens out, then hiccups again. I'm thinking a basic tune up might do it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I may do that if I can't find a knowledgeable friend to help 😉

I got it running and drove it a little bit. It runs rough and when I shift from park to drive it dies every time unless I keep my foot on the gas. At idle it runs fine then it sort of hiccups a bit and evens out, then hiccups again. I'm thinking a basic tune up might do it.
This is beyond a basic tune up.

Back