• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

How many people own or have owned an Aerostar?

GrandpaDan

Reaction score
City, State
Chippewa Falls
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Aerostar
Third owner of a 91' Aerostar E-4WD from Colorado. 332,000 miles on it, virtually rust-free. It had taken a few hits before I got it, so there will be bodywork in it's future, but for now I'm just getting to know it. This forum has already helped me solve some of its problems, and I know I'll be here a lot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

92exp4x4

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Covington, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XL 2-door and others
Third owner of a 91' Aerostar E-4WD from Colorado. 332,000 miles on it, virtually rust-free. It had taken a few hits before I got it, so there will be bodywork in it's future, but for now I'm just getting to know it. This forum has already helped me solve some of its problems, and I know I'll be here a lot.

Welcome! It's almost broke in!

electronavt

Reaction score
City, State
Murmansk
Year, Model & Trim Level
1986 Aerostar XL 3.0 A4LD
Hi all. I'm from Russia.
Own a Ford Aerostar. Always interested in new and old :) information about this car. Nice to meet you.Photo of my car you can see it
here

zenish

Reaction score
City, State
charlotte nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar xlt
were aerostars sold in russia?

electronavt

Reaction score
City, State
Murmansk
Year, Model & Trim Level
1986 Aerostar XL 3.0 A4LD
were aerostars sold in russia?
Not sold Aerostar in Russia, they were imported from Europe and U. S. A. sailors and just anyone wishing to have this car.
My Aerostar was until 1994 in Jacksonville, Florida, then imported to Finland and then came to Russia. I asked for the CARFAX report.

Benton Coons

Reaction score
City, State
Asheville
Year, Model & Trim Level
1988 ford aerostar
Just got my first, and found this forum. It's an 88, it's got 165k on it. Payed 600 it's not pretty but it drives solid. Waterpump immediately went bad, I'm pretty sure it's the original. Replacement cost me 30 bucks new, and is getting me to wrench and do a lot of fhe things one should do to an old car.... I like how it goes down the highway just fine, and it's actually got me a bit psyched on more wrenching,

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
Welcome to this forum! You found a good deal for the pump. I paid twice as much when I replaced mine. It's a good idea to replace the timing chain when you change the pump since it has high mileage, and the pump would have to be removed a second time to get to the pump. Check the condition of the fan clutch too.

loosenut349

Reaction score
City, State
S.W. Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Aerostar XLT E4WD
My mom picked up her aerostar yesterday, and it is a 93 Eddie, with what's called "Electronic 4X4" that what it says on both fenders and I believe its like the Control Trac, it only kicks in when a wheel spins, because it don't have a selector for the 4X4.

I have a '95 with the electronic four wheel drive, It is full time all wheel drive with 30% of the engines power going to the front wheels and 70% going to the rear wheels.
It is controlled by a microprocessor that is mounted under the driver's front seat.
I disconnected it many years ago because fuel economy was horrible, now it gets 19 mpg, before that I was lucky if it got 13 mpg going downhill.

LynnM

Reaction score
City, State
New Orleans, LA.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer 2W
I have a white 1988 Aerostar. Interesting vehicle but has a major transmission leak and now it's sitting on the side of the road not running. Trying to get it going again. Turns over but won't start.

CLTuna

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Aerostar
I still own the 1995 Aerostar XLT Extended we purchased new in 1996. In fact, doing a water pump later this week. Only remaining issue is a slight intake gasket leak. Have to change the rear passenger side plug every couple years. Otherwise, it's my kayak, personal pontoon, lumber and sheet goods plus to the dump hauler. Will really miss it when it finally dies. Many thanks to this forum for their great repair tutorials and members for quick answers.

Paul Fithian

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Long Beach, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Job 1 RWD V8 Limited
We had two, an ‘87 (gray) and a ‘94 (dark green), both purchased new with 3.0’s and 5 speed sticks. I ordered the '87 with Traction-Lok, the '94 was on a dealer's lot in Detroit.

Great road trip vehicles with our 3 young children. I made up a wood platform to take the place of the middle seat, height with a foam mattress was the same as the bottom cushion of the rear seat. Rendering the area behind the front seats a big bed, with storage underneath.

The '87 had defective head bolts, never could keep coolant in it. The '94 died in Florida on a road trip, fried the ECM, wasn't worth fixing a thousand miles from home.

Rocker area body rust was a problem with both of them.

Turdle

Habla tortuga
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
Well, since I have been scanning old pictures to digital lately, I ran across these.

"Big Sal" doing work at Jenny Lake Campground , Teton national park Wyoming.

img523.jpg
wo
img525.jpg

Horsethief lake South Dakota

img526.jpg