azrael_ak

Reaction score
City, State
Wasilla, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Hello,
I have a '91 Explorer Eddie Bauer edition 4x4

My brother ran cruise control today on the highway and at 55 it is right at 2,400 rpms.

This sounds a little high to me. Recently the pump seals gave out and my brother repaired it for me....installed a kit and did something to the valves. He says it shifts pretty good now. The high rpms look a little suspicious tho.
He also noted that the converter is locking up and its shifting nicely.

Does anyone know what the RPMs are at 55mph and 65mph for this vehicle?

The VIN door sticker reads:

TRANS - T = A4LD
AXLE - D4 = 3.73 ratio

running original size tires

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.....
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

should be a tad under 2k not sure but at 65 it says 2300 rpm. check the trans fluid it might be low if you havent did that already.

To me it sounds like it isn't going into OD. you can can 4lo.com to run the numbers. Enter your tire size, set your transfer case ratio to 1:1 and put your speed to 65. Now you can try using the transmission ratio of 1:1 and the OD ratio that I can't remember to figure out if you not getting OD.

~Mark

?

Right now its in the test drive phase after being reassembled with a shift kit and valve work.

Fluids topped off....converter is locking up....its shifting just fine...I'm just looking for original specs on RPM's / MPH

Theres currently no codes showing.

Would a bad sensor cause higher RPM's? And would it throw a code?

Make sure you're going into OD as well. From the Park position I believe it's 3 notches to the right. Sometimes the needle that points to the gear selector is wrong, and it may just not be in OD as Maniak (I think) mentioned earlier.

Still in 3rd

I have a 93 w/ A4LD and 3.73 gears, and at that speed and RPM combo, you are still in 3rd gear. 55mph in 4th will be under 2k RPM.
4th and TCC are engaged by solenoids, so if your shifter is in the OD position, I would check the electrical connections.

Shifting...

It feels like its hitting all 4 gears....and you can tap the brake pedal and see the torque converter unlock.......

Would the shifter linkage cause this problem? its out of adjustment slightly

rpms

BTW,

Driving it at highway speeds.... 55mph = 2200rpms now...

Maybe the TC clutch isn't locking up all the way?
Don't really know what to tell you other than I'm getting just over 1500 rpm when the clutch locks on mine between 45 and 50 mph.
I'll get on the highway tomorrow and do some experimentation with gears, rpm, and speed.

Hello,
I have a '91 Explorer Eddie Bauer edition 4x4

My brother ran cruise control today on the highway and at 55 it is right at 2,400 rpms.

This sounds a little high to me. Recently the pump seals gave out and my brother repaired it for me....installed a kit and did something to the valves. He says it shifts pretty good now. The high rpms look a little suspicious tho.
He also noted that the converter is locking up and its shifting nicely.

Does anyone know what the RPMs are at 55mph and 65mph for this vehicle?

The VIN door sticker reads:

TRANS - T = A4LD
AXLE - D4 = 3.73 ratio

running original size tires

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.....
Thanks

That is high. I cruise at 60 at just a little over 1500. Granted I have a 3.08...for now.

Usual answer to this problem, as the others have suggested, is the transmission isn't shifting into 4th gear. Both suggestions you gave (a bad sensor or the shifter out of adjustment) would be part of causing it not to shift into 4th gear. You seem to indicate that it is shifting just fine through all gears.

If you know it is going through all 4 gears and TCC lockup, then the next thing I'd check is your differential gear ratios. Any possibility someone before you has put something other than the factory 3.73 indicated by the door jamb? By my calculations, 2300 RPM would correspond to a diff gear ratio of 4.56, assuming the transmission is in 4th gear.

Back