How much can I tow with this? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How much can I tow with this?

Hello -

I have a 2017 Explorer XLT v6 FWD with an appearance package.
I need to be able to tow a boat which requires about 3,000lbs in towing.
Since my Explorer didn't come with a hitch, I was going to purchase the hitch below:
CURT 13100 Class 3 Trailer Hitch

Was wondering if it is that simple and if anyone had any feedback.

With no factory tow package your truck is rated to 2,000 pounds, regardless of what hitch you put on it. Can you tow more than 2,000? Probably. I’d surely get a huge transmission cooler, stay out of overdrive and not push it. How far will you be towing? How often?

I will be towing a few miles every other week. I live in FL, so there aren't any steep hills or mountains. Maybe just the board ramp.
Is there a recommended place to buy transmission coolers and are they easy to install?
Wondering if I should take it Ford for the tow package and pay the ridiculous amount or just purchase the hitch and a cooler.

It would cost many thousands of dollars to have the tow package installed. As I understand it the transmissions are different models. Transmission coolers can be bought at any auto store as universals. They are fairly easy to install. I’d check and see if you currently have one. If so I’d add another inline with it.

If it’s fairly flat, and not a long distance I’d tow 3,000 without too much worry. Don’t rush it, and you probably won’t overtax it.

Back