• Register Today It's free!

how much is my 94 x worth with a

KobeJ05

Reaction score
City, State
Marina, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 explorer 157k miles
transmission thats goin out? i have a 1994 ford explorer thats in excellent shape. it has leather seats, sun roof and power windows. my trans just started going out. thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Kelly Blue Book for your area lists the following private party amount:

Automatic: $1285
Manual: $815

That's going off "fair" because the transmission will need to be rebuilt / replaced. My wife and I got our 94 XLT for $700. It needed a clutch slave cylinder and some other minor work like the radius arm bushings & new brakes. It was in relatively good condition and had around 160k on it. Of course, things might be different in your area, but the KBB numbers are pretty close to what you could expect to get.

im tryin to sell it like it is for 1k.

1k sounds reasonable. if you put in a rebuilt trans (about $900) you could probably get $3500 out of it.

it usually pays to repair, then sell.

1k sounds reasonable. if you put in a rebuilt trans (about $900) you could probably get $3500 out of it.

it usually pays to repair, then sell.

I doubt you could get $3500 for it even with a brand new transmission, much less a rebuild. KBB & NADA have prices around $1500 private party for that in "Excellent" condition. From the pictures, the exterior looks to be in very good condition, but it has a bad transmission, so that's going to drop the price considerably. These are what you see advertised on Craigslist and newspaper classifieds as a "mechanics special".

You can fix it and try and sell it for $1500, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if nobody offers you that much for it. Or you can sell it as is and list the price at $1000, but expect to do some haggling and be willing to come down on the price. With most used cars, you're buying someone else's problem. Anyone who might buy yours as it currently sits would have to spend a considerable of money to get it into running condition and that will have an effect on the price you can actually sell it for.

Back