• Register Today It's free!

How much water can I clear?

steventadams

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
So around wintertime and during heavy rains, the coastal town I live in tends to flood. My parents always get nervous that I'm going to mess something up when I drive through water that is only about 8 inches deep or so.

So how much water can I handle before I should start worrying?
Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe the intake sucks air in just above the front bumper on 01 X's
so as long as the water is below though I believe you'll be fine. That's what I've been told.

Don't go blazing through it if you can help though, it can splash water into the intake which = :thumbsdown:

A general rule of thumb is to the bumper. Just remember for water higher than your hubs, go slow thru it. Don't forget to also extend the vent tubes on the axles, transfer case, transmission. The last thing you want to do is force water into those said parts.

Alright so if I want to be able to do any wading over my bumper I need to extend the vent tubes (which i assume is just adding more tubing and isn't too difficult).
My intake still has the box and it looks like the opening for it is pretty high so I'm not worried about that. What about my exhaust pipe? Should I be rerouting the pipes somewhere with a high exit point?

Nope, you don't have to re-route the exhaust. Contrary to myth, it will work fine under water (been there..done that ;) )

Sucking water into the motor via. the intake is the thing you need to be most concerned about. You may want to verify exactly where the intake pulls air from. I've seen a motor get hydrolocked in as little as 8" of water because a wave hit the intake. For what you're talking about, you might want to consider going with an aftermarket intake that has the filter up high in the engine compartment.

They might have changed it on the '01, but my '97 has the opening on the intake box all the way at the bottom. I've got a cone filter now.

Although I can't say I recommend it, I have cleared a couple of feet of water bone stock except for the cone filter.

I've gone through some deep water but I'm lifted 5inchs plus added height of the 33s
I extended all breathes and drilled out the bottom of my stock air box so any water that gets in will drain out.
also the technique when going through deep water is to go slow enough to not over take the swell/wave in front of the truck. but not too fast, so you don't splash water up everywhere.
I've gone through water that made my 33s completely disappear.

yea stay BELOW the centerline of the wheels and go slow, if not dont complain your front bearings are wearing out sooner than you thought :)

Stay away from water, IMO. The front diff vent is just above the frame up front, the rear is higher, but the front diff has to be removed to be drained. Ask me how I know :rolleyes:

How do you know? :)

Back