how much wieght can I tow? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how much wieght can I tow?

TODD92XLT

Reaction score
My 92 has the towing package with 373 gears and I was wondering how much weight I can tow with it. I've heard that Automatics trannys in these are kind of weak. Is that usually a problem when towing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I pull a 17 foot fiberglass boat with mine, it has the same setup. and a new transmission, but that was before i got it. I think as long as you change your transmission fluid regularly, and dont pull more than 2,000 or so pounds, you should be alright. I also try to keep it in drive as much as possible, only putting it in over drive when i am going faster than 55 which isnt very often. It seems like the transmissions are luck of the draw, some last forever, some crap out every 50,000 miles, good luck.

I'm planning to tow my Mustang. I know my car weighs 2900 Lbs and there is the wieght of the trailer as well. What's the most anybody has ever towed with thier Explorer?

As long as it's not for long distances, you should be okay. Your truck will struggle though pulling that much weight.
That's almost 7700 lbs for the engine to pull. Before towing your mustang, change the tranny fluid if it hasn't been changed in a while.

ttt

Originally posted by TODD92XLT
My 92 has the towing package with 373 gears and I was wondering how much weight I can tow with it. I've heard that Automatics trannys in these are kind of weak. Is that usually a problem when towing?
According to the owner's manual, (auto transmission with 3.73 gears) you can pull up to 5100 lb. The bumper is rated at 3500lb so if you need to pull more then you will have to get a properly rated hitch installed. The only other thing you may want to check is if you have a transmission cooler installed (you will see a small radiator in front of the primary radiator), definitely a good thing to have if you pull heavy trailers.

thanks, I do have a class 3 hitch and a tranny cooler

towing

I've pulled my dad's 19' Sea Pro boat behind mine about 150 miles. It weighs in at around 2200 lbs, trailer and all. I just used the bumper hitch. The transmission didnt seem weak at all and the engine did fine. I never use overdrive when towing something that big, even if the speed limit is over 55. The only trouble I had was keeping the boat in the narrow lanes going down to our vacation house, cuz its so daggum WIDE. Anyway, I've heard as high as 6000 lbs for the pre 95 X's, but I could be wrong. Also, a quick question, is it damaging at all to use Low Range when pulling the boat out of the water?

a while ago when i was surfing ford's web site i came across the 4.0 ohv's specs. if i can recall correctly, i think that a '91 - '94 4.0 ohv 4 door 4x4 with the 3.73 limited slip could tow up to 4,760lbs. u might want to contact a dealer to find out the exact specs, but thats just my .02

-ken

Here is a clipping from a trailer guide I found online. Hope it helps.
-Bryan

Explorer 2Dr SOHC 4.0 V–6 5,080 (a,d,h)
Explorer 2Dr (4WD) SOHC 4.0 V–6 4,860 (a,d,e,h)
Explorer 4Dr SOHC 4.0 V–6 5,860 (a,d,e,h)
Explorer 4Dr (4WD) SOHC 4.0 V–6 5,640 (a,d,e,h)
Explorer 4Dr 5.0 V–8 6,700 (d)

(a) Requires automatic transmission and towing package; manual transmission rating substantially lower. (b) Requires 3.31:1 axle ratio. (c) Requires 3.55:1 axle ratio. (d) Requires 3.73:1 axle ratio. (e) Requires 3.98/4.09/4.10:1 axle ratio. (f) Tow rating of Splash may be different. (g) Fifth–wheel rating; ball–hitch trailer weight limited to 10,000 pounds. (h) OHV 4.0 V–6 rated 500 pounds lower. (i) Must be equipped with heavy–duty tow package. (j) Requires automatic transmission cooler. (k) Requires 16–inch rims. (l) Automatic rated slightly lower.

Re: towing

Originally posted by thegoon543
Also, a quick question, is it damaging at all to use Low Range when pulling the boat out of the water?

No it won't damage it. Infact, I recommend it. Low Range delivers the maximum torque to the wheels and with all 4 going, it helps your tranny out.

Re: Re: towing

Originally posted by beavis195

No it won't damage it. Infact, I recommend it. Low Range delivers the maximum torque to the wheels and with all 4 going, it helps your tranny out.

Thanks for the info.

Back