how powerful is the stock amp?

bigmackloud

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'80 CJ5
Hey,

how many watts does the stock amp pump out? (the amp with the premium sound system/sub in a 94' EB)

thanks,
bigmac

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i'm pretty sure it is 4X15watts rms and 1X85 watts rms for the sub.

if you put in an aftermarket headunit, you should bypass the factory amp to the speakers. if not you will only power those speakers with the 15 watts. also the factory amps put out a lot of distortion.

hmmmm... for some strange reason my post is not registering.

Hey,

wow, 85watts for the sub!?! cool. my friend just bought a 94' EB with the CD/sub already there. but the sub is blown so he's replacing everything but the HU. so i have two questions:

1) - does the factory Cd player have a pre-amp out put on it to run an after market 5-channel amp?

2) - can i take that old EB amp and put it in my Cherokee and use just the 85watt channel to push a sub? i've got a pioneer 4100 series cd player w/2 pre-amps. any compatitblity problems?

thanks,
bigmac

unfortunately there are no preamp outputs on the stock headunit. the headunit doesnt put out any power, it just sends the signal to the external amp. i dont know if you could hook up an aftermarket amp to the stock headunit, even with high level inputs on the amp. probably not, but maybe someone here has done it.

you could use the sub amp in your Cherokee, but you have to figure out what each wire does (they're not labeled). there are 2 amps in the explorer. one is for the door speakers, and the other is just for the sub.

If you use a converter you can use the factory head unit. Thats what i did.

ok so how much is a converter where do ya buy it how do you install it?

Dont buy a converter from walmart or department stores because those are pieces of **** although they will work. Go to an audio shop and you can pick one up for less than $20 bucks. There are four wires that come out of it all you have to do is splice those wires to the stock head unit wireing harness. If you get one email me and i will let you know what color wires to connect the converter to. I have the wiring diagram for the harnesses somewhere. If you need it i will search for it.

Hey,

you said there are two amps right? where are they?

the stock HU is partially broken so he's replacing that all together.

thanks,
bigmac

In my 95' they are in the back behind the panel next to the sub. You will need to take the wall off to get to it, which isnt too hard but its awfully annoying. You might need to go to the dealer to get some new pushpins unless your real carefull when you take them off...or you have the special tool they use at the dealer to take em' out...

Back