How rare is a 1996 4 dr, 5 speed, 4wd xlt? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How rare is a 1996 4 dr, 5 speed, 4wd xlt?

woodco100

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt rare 5 spd 4WD
Hello to all, I have a 1996 XLT 4.0, 5 speed 4wd Explorer. I bought it because it was a manual, I dislike drive automatics. I drive on the beach a lot so 4wd is handy. I am looking to replace it after 11 years, but I cannot find any 4wd, 5 speeds with 4 doors. Lots (100s) of automatics and 2 door sports with 4wd out there. I know they never made a v8 with the manual.

Does anyone have any idea if my Explorer is a rare find. Likely I will just keep it and rebuild the motor, well over 200k.

Thanks in advance, Woody

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In the 2nd gen I have seen less than 5 four door manual 4wd explorers, doesn't mean more don't exist. Most sticks I have seen in the 2nd gen were sport models.

In the 1st gen it was more available but kinda rare, which is why I won't get rid of mine. 4dr 2wd 5 speed

I think I am going to hang onto it. You can build the motors up with cam, headers, intake and chip. After 11 years it is part of the family.

I've only seen 2 2nd gens with the 5-speed. 1 was 2wd, the second was 4wd (which I ended up buying). Black 98 XLT, really nice looking truck.

Had 200,500 miles when I bought it, did a bunch of work to it and gave it to my brother, whom drove it from NC to OR.

The 4dr 4x4 5 speed ones are hard to find. I would say 1 4dr out of every 200 out there is a 5 speed. I think 4dr 5 speed 4x4 is more in the 1 out of 500 club haha

I have a 4x4 95 5 speed 4 door...xl.
Bought it 7 years ago from the original owner who happened to be a woman..she bought it new.
Had 72k on it then..150 k now.
It's had it's problems and the transfer case now is funky..but it's still going!
Runs like a top and cold air!
I also have on the road my 01 5.0 explorer.
This one motor head guy wants the tranny when it dies.
Looks way better in the pic..lol.
I do apartment maintenance you outa see the inside!
2001exploder004_zps5f8d2ab8.jpg

It has full power, all I need. It just needed a motor and good paint job. I have a 1997 Limited parts truck with a working sunroof. I may have a good body man cut off the roof and weld it on my truck. I installed leather years ago. Easy to find. Thanks, Woody

In the 2nd gen I have seen less than 5 four door manual 4wd explorers, doesn't mean more don't exist. Most sticks I have seen in the 2nd gen were sport models.

In the 1st gen it was more available but kinda rare, which is why I won't get rid o
From what I know... 1996 XLT 4 door only came with 2wd when the 5.0v8 was in it. Yours seems to be more rare than mine of course because I have the 4 speed auto. Does yours have leather and loaded?
I have a 1996 Ford explorer 5 speed 4x4 4 door xlt with 177000 miles

I have a 1996 Ford explorer xlt 4 wheel drive 5 speed 4 door I bought it to resale motor transmission are great back bumper is shot runs but has old gas

In the 1st gen it was more available but kinda rare, which is why I won't get rid of mine. 4dr 2wd 5 speed
I have a 1996 xlt 5 speed 4x4 explorer I bought to resale motor transmission are great body has rust around running boards back bumper is shot runs great but has old gas

Back