How soon after order placed is VIN available? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How soon after order placed is VIN available?

Odrapnew

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Hello all. I recently joined(lurked for a while) after I placed an order for a 2014 Silver Sport(401a, 2nd row buckets w/ console and tow package). I put my deposit down 12/26 and I believe the order was placed within 2-3 days of that. I got a call from the dealer January 3rd stating that it was on order, no VIN yet and they’d be following up in the next week or 2 with a status update. Just curious of when I could expect to have a VIN available. Thanks and the wait is already tough and will likely get worse the closer it gets to delivery date.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello all. I recently joined(lurked for a while) after I placed an order for a 2014 Silver Sport(401a, 2nd row buckets w/ console and tow package). I put my deposit down 12/26 and I believe the order was placed within 2-3 days of that. I got a call from the dealer January 3rd stating that it was on order, no VIN yet and they’d be following up in the next week or 2 with a status update. Just curious of when I could expect to have a VIN available. Thanks and the wait is already tough and will likely get worse the closer it gets to delivery date.

Congrats on ordering, Odrapnew! VINs are typically generated around the same time your vehicle gets ready to enter production. I'll be happy to check on the status of your order; just send me a PM with your dealership info and your order number. I'll do the rest! :thumbsup:

Crystal

I got my VIN a little over two weeks after I ordered. But Crystal is right, it's tied to production, not order date. So it could take longer if production is taking longer right now. My dealer said 8-12 weeks total for me because I was over the holidays. Mine was made within 6 weeks and now is just waiting on transport. I had the VIN almost three weeks before it was made, but that three weeks covered both Christmas and New Years which is a lot of down time.

I just ordered mine on Monday 1/20 and got my VIN from Crystal on Thursday 1/23/14. The sales Mgr. had the priority status bumped up though. Even with that they originally told me 1-2 weeks.

Also, Crystal told me that it was scheduled for a mid February build date.

Actually you receive the VIN when the vehicle gets scheduled. Depending on if your dealer has an allocation or not and a couple of other factors, it could get a VIN the next day after ordering (scheduling is done Thur mornings) or a few months down the road.

Back