how tight should an alternator belt be that doesn't have a tensioner? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how tight should an alternator belt be that doesn't have a tensioner?

watermellon

Reaction score
City, State
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Year, Model & Trim Level
white 1989 ranger, 2.3l
I have an '89 ranger with a 2.3 liter engine. I took off the v-ribbed belt that goes around the fan pulley, crank pulley, and alternator by loosening the adjusting and pivot bolts on the alternator. I then placed the belt around the three parts and used a prybar on the alternator to tighten the belt. Then I tightened the adjusting bolt and pivot bolt on the alternator. I've got the belt fairly tight but I'm not sure how tight it should actually be. I've tried searching for answers in this forum, but it seems all the other trucks have belt tensioners on them. so if anyone can help me... thanks.

I always make sure I have about 1/2" of give on the belt if I push hard with my finger. if I can't get it to move 1/2" then its too tight. If I can move it easily it too loose.

Thats at least the rule of thumb I've always used on the older motors that don't have a tensioner.

~Mark

thanks for responding Maniak and BrooklynBay. I'll check belt tightness in the morning.

Back