How To: 2nd Gen OEM Parking Sensors | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: 2nd Gen OEM Parking Sensors

This post was th first I've heard about parking sensors for any year. Your truck already had th wiring you just had to hook it up?

Yeah, all of the connectors and harnesses were already there, similar to how the 4x4 wiring is there too on 2wd Explorers. It was just plugging in the parts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, all of the connectors and harnesses were already there, similar to how the 4x4 wiring is there too on 2wd Explorers. It was just plugging in the parts.
I'll have to check mine out, mines a very base Eddie Bauer, really not decked out, which sucks, but whatevs, would this be easy if the wiring wasn't already there?

I'll have to check mine out, mines a very base Eddie Bauer, really not decked out, which sucks, but whatevs, would this be easy if the wiring wasn't already there?

I don't think it would be too difficult if you're experienced with auto wiring. A lot of the wires that connect to the module are from the bumper, and two go to the speaker. The hard part would be figuring out where the rest go to.

I haven't seen any 95-97 explorers with them at the local junkyard, only the 98-01 models so I'm not sure how the sensors are mounted on the bumpers of 95-97 trucks. All I know about those years is that the speaker for the sensors is located in the driver's side footwell. From the posts I've read on the internet.

This could never work on a 95-97 simply because the bumper is very different and I don't believe it was an option. By the time Explorers are junked here the bumpers are usually spent and rusted out. Shipping a bumper and getting those parts would probably put you over the 200 mark.

For that money you can install an android head unit that almost looks stock and a backup camera. That is what I have.

This could never work on a 95-97 simply because the bumper is very different and I don't believe it was an option. By the time Explorers are junked here the bumpers are usually spent and rusted out. Shipping a bumper and getting those parts would probably put you over the 200 mark.

For that money you can install an android head unit that almost looks stock and a backup camera. That is what I have.

Yeah I'm not sure about the 95-97, those years are a mystery to me that's why I only included 98-01. The bumper that I got was somewhere from up north since it did have rust on the back of it. It wasn't too bad so I just sprayed it with rustoleum and it's been ok. I only paid around $110 for my stuff at the local junkyard. I wanted to add a back up camera too, but I can't seem to find any decent double din units that have a volume knob. What unit do you have?

Vpajl0f.jpg

Was under $200 shipped, must be imported. Came in two days, very friendly place. I think they are an OEM for some companies. They don't have a fancy site. No CD player(unless you want a bit smaller screen), but as you see lots of spaces for memory cards/usb. They give a cable with even more usb, I installed more ports below. You can even add a mouse or keyboard. You can run Forscan on it and see 100s of pids (even ones like ABS or wiper speed). Backup camera choices are unlimited, the one I installed is working for 6 months, I can give a link if you want.

Nice write up!! thank you !!

I have researched the brochures and it appears that the reverse sensors were introduced in 1999 so this should work for 99-01 models. I also saw that it was available on the sport according to the 99 brochure.

I have researched the brochures and it appears that the reverse sensors were introduced in 1999 so this should work for 99-01 models. I also saw that it was available on the sport according to the 99 brochure.
Thanks for the info. I'll update the thread later :thumbsup:

Vpajl0f.jpg

Was under $200 shipped, must be imported. Came in two days, very friendly place. I think they are an OEM for some companies. They don't have a fancy site. No CD player(unless you want a bit smaller screen), but as you see lots of spaces for memory cards/usb. They give a cable with even more usb, I installed more ports below. You can even add a mouse or keyboard. You can run Forscan on it and see 100s of pids (even ones like ABS or wiper speed). Backup camera choices are unlimited, the one I installed is working for 6 months, I can give a link if you want.
Sure I'd like the link, looks like a solid unit.

First off, great post.

Wish I could make it work on my late 97 XLT, but there are a couple problems. Mine does not have the module connector or the switch connector. I didn’t look for the speaker connector or the sensor connector. Also, by chance I pulled a post-97 dash cluster bezel from PnP and it will not fit in my 97 without modification.

Look at the two dash pictures shared by the OP. On the 97 dash cluster bezel there is a 1 ¼” long standoff where the park assist switch is located on the later bezels. Also, on the later bezels that standoff is moved close to the edge and lengthened to about 1 ½’. The metal clip in the bottom center of the picture will not insert in to the black plastic dash structure without trimming the length of the standoff. Once I trimmed the standoff to length the clip would still not insert because the switch receptacle was hitting the black plastic. So the shape of the dash structure changed slightly over time. Cutting in to the black plastic is not something I wanted to do. I ended up grinding off the receptacle in order to fit the bezel.

First off, great post.

Wish I could make it work on my late 97 XLT, but there are a couple problems. Mine does not have the module connector or the switch connector. I didn’t look for the speaker connector or the sensor connector. Also, by chance I pulled a post-97 dash cluster bezel from PnP and it will not fit in my 97 without modification.

Look at the two dash pictures shared by the OP. On the 97 dash cluster bezel there is a 1 ¼” long standoff where the park assist switch is located on the later bezels. Also, on the later bezels that standoff is moved close to the edge and lengthened to about 1 ½’. The metal clip in the bottom center of the picture will not insert in to the black plastic dash structure without trimming the length of the standoff. Once I trimmed the standoff to length the clip would still not insert because the switch receptacle was hitting the black plastic. So the shape of the dash structure changed slightly over time. Cutting in to the black plastic is not something I wanted to do. I ended up grinding off the receptacle in order to fit the bezel.

Yes the bezels are indeed different. I currently have one from a pre 98 Explorer and I had to remove two tabs on the back of it, in order for it to sit flush against the dash.

http://www.sinocastel.net/products/products003.html

They are actually an OEM to the manufacturer for some of those units. Ours would be the universal. There is a small modification to the bezel to make it fit.

http://www.sinocastel.net/products/48.html

It can also mirror your phone.

Only problem is it is very distracting! Need to use self-control.

The links won't load for some reason. Anyway, is it designed for android phones only? I'm an iPhone owner so I don't know if it would work with my phone. I like my kenwood single din because it recognizes my phone and automatically starts playing my music shortly after I plug in the USB cable.

The links won't load for some reason. Anyway, is it designed for android phones only? I'm an iPhone owner so I don't know if it would work with my phone. I like my kenwood single din because it recognizes my phone and automatically starts playing my music shortly after I plug in the USB cable.
It is basically an android tablet optimized for use with a car, and a decent car stereo. It runs a custom Android. I can run forscan on it with a bunch of customized dashboards showing anything about the car. I should post a pic. Also a full web browser, many 2017s don't have that. Works with a wireless mouse, kb, touchpad, etc.

There is a phone mirror feature that can overlay your iphone on the screen. I don't know why their site don't work, but there are a few manufacturers of these units. Mine is working daily for many months now, so I suggested that company.

It would pair to your iphone for calls, but I don't know about music for an iphone. I was able to play music from my android phone though. All my music is on an SD card and the head unit plays it. BT music isn't the best quality(my opinion).

I was at the local U Pull today and came across the first vehicle I've seen out there with the RSS equipped option...a '00 Mountaineer. Anyway, it reminded me of this thread and so I had to investigate a little. I had already determined that my '98 XLT wasn't pre-wired for this option. I checked several other '98's out there and they weren't either. So, I'm of the impression that this year cannot be included with those '99-'01's that are pre-wired. Too bad...as, it would have been a cool option to add.

Back