How To: 3rd Gen Rear Pinion Seal and Gear Oil Replacement | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: 3rd Gen Rear Pinion Seal and Gear Oil Replacement

If it is limited slip diff does it say "limited slip" or is there some sort of code on it?
Bob T
:usa:

There's a code on one of the door well stickers. Do a search on this forum to decipher.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can give you the code tomorrow if I remember. It's part of the vin#. Drop a PM if you don't see post late tomorrow.

My mistake, it's not part of the vin, but it is listed under axle on the sticker on the drivers door. If it D4, then it is a limited slip.

Rear Diff Problems

Im about to go through all this procedure. Only Im wandering if its already too late and i have some damage in the bearings and gears. It had a leak its the wifes rig. I noticed it when it was up on the rack getting the cats replaced. didnt seem too bad she took and had it serviced regular so i wasnt that concerned about it. They should be topping it off every time it gets serviced. Well guess what they were not topping it off. So I noticed it started whining one day. I was driving it I knew what it was. Pulled into a Wal Mart and had the rear diff checked. they said it was empty and they filled it up. The whining is still there. But Im sure they didnt put the right gear oil in it. But Im going to replace the pinion seal and the rear cover seal. Im going to pull it out and check it out. Im wandering if i can fix the leaks and put in the right gear oil and conditioner and keep on trucking. When the whining started it was driven but maybe 3 miles. It hasnt been run very much low on gear oil. Im just worried that with the noise now its on its way out and its just a matter of time. I have installed quiet a few ring and pinions in the past. I used to race dirt cars and we ran Chevy rear ends I have installed quiet a few of them. This 8.8 is indentical in the way its set up. We ran the old 12 bold chevy and 10 bolts. 8.2's and 7.5's . With it making the noise what are my chances of it going on for a long time if i fix the leaks and service it right? See my worries are i need it for a trip in about a month. about a 2500 mile run. If it wasnt for that i would fix the leaks service it up and run it till it blows. But i dont want to get my family stranded 1000 miles from home.

Where does one get that plastic flange or whatever you want to call it, that is on the pinion yoke?

yoak sleeve

you get the yoke sleeve at auto parts original post has number
Now for my problem
any of you had the seal to start leaking again. ?

Im changing my rear seal and ordered kit
dorman 697507. Wich has the Flange Seal and Nut.. How would i go about aligning it properly since im removing the old nut and flange?

Just line the new flange infront of the old one and mark it?

Same picture over and over. Large bottom drain plug doesn’t want to loosen.

Back