• Register Today It's free!

How to charge the battery ?

Blewyn

Reaction score
City, State
Muscat, Oman
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
What's the correct way to charge the battery on a 1997 Explorer ? I checked the manual but no instructions there. I have a charger but it came with no manual - if I connect red to red and black to black and switch on then all the lights on the front of the charger come on (it has no gauge) but the battery is definitely low because when I try to start the engine just makes a rapid repeating clicking noise.

I read online that some cars have different polarity of grounding, and with these you have to attach one cable to the battery and another to the body. Can anyone let me know the correct method for the Explorer please ?

Thanks in advance...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK well I just tried to start the Explorer without its battery (experiment) by hooking it up to my wife's Wrangler with 2 sets of jumper cables. The Explorer wouldn't start and the set of leads closest the Wrangler got very hot very quickly. Moral of the story - reverse park the damn Explorer so if the battery dies overnight it's easy to reach the hood with one set of jumper leads...

So anyway, if I put the battery back in (sealed, can't see fluid levels) will the Explorer jumpstart ?

What's the correct setup for charging a battery outside of the car ? It has a 6v/12v switch but no current switch....label says 4.2A...

What's the correct setup for charging a battery outside of the car ? It has a 6v/12v switch but no current switch....label says 4.2A...

12 volt, but just make sure you get the battery leads hooked up correctly, that may have been why you couldnt jump start it

To charge the battery, positive from charger to positive on battery, obviously.

If all the lights come on, that would indicate that the battery is no good and you need a new one. Your battery sounds as though it has an internal short.
The reason why the jumpercables got hot fast is that the amperage draw over that distance is much more than the cables can handle, resulting in the heat.
If I were you I would use the wifes truck and go buy a new battery, but call the autoparts store first and ask them to put your replacement battery on a charger for you and ask them to call you when it is fully charged.
The newer style of alternator with the built in voltage regulator will not be able to handle the stress of putting a full charge into the new battery, so unless you want the added joy of replacing your alternator next week, have that new battery fully charged before installation.

you might want to invest in a newer computer controlled charger. it will check the battery alternator and will not charge if hooked up backwards (virtually fool proof). optima battery recommends that all batteries be charged at 10A, I'm from the older belief that a low current charge is better (2A) but I will usually charge at 10A then at 2A.

newer chargers will also switch to float charging after full charge is achieved

New batteries have to be charged ? They don't come fully charged ?

This is the 3rd or 4th battery the Explorer has used up in 3 years.....is that normal ?

PS GREAT replies gentlemen (I presume), much appreciated

This is the 3rd or 4th battery the Explorer has used up in 3 years.....is that normal ?

Only if you use Exide batteries :)

batteries come from the factory fully charged, but will degrade on the shelf.

batteries should last 3 years or so depending on brand / grade / care

if you're going through them that fast... I would have your alternator checked as well as cables and post clamps, maybe just replace the cables and post clamps (I dislike the stock ford clamps)

a battery not properly charged will sulfate (like corrosion of the lead post, it prevents reaction and charging)

most places will warranty the battery for a year so keep the receipt, the warranty is good even if you are negligent

Only if you use Exide batteries :)

I had an exide for 4 years... never had much of an issue. if I had taken better care of it I bet I could have gotten 5 out of it

optima battery recommends that all batteries be charged at 10A, I'm from the older belief that a low current charge is better (2A) but I will usually charge at 10A then at 2A.

We're actually in agreement with you and suggest 2 amp charging rates under normal circumstances for our batteries and 1 amp for float charging. We will suggest a 10 amp rate if a battery has been deeply-discharged and allowed to sulfate, but that should only be necessary for about two hours and the battery should be monitored for excessive heat and gassing during that time.

Newer chargers/maintainers are an excellent investment, especially if they are microprocessor-controlled. Maintaining at least 12.4 volts at all times in any battery will help extend it's lifespan, regardless of brand.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.

Wow- we have a battery guy now too! Nice! :D

Jim, I am running an Optima in my drag race car and my alternator can't keep up with my electrical demands, so I use a plug in charger between rounds.

What is the highest charge rate I can use for this type of quick, between rounds charging?

Thanks!

Hi Rick,

We recommend a 10-amp maximum rate for battery chargers. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.

Back