How to check torque converter bolts/nuts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to check torque converter bolts/nuts

SCMark

Reaction score
City, State
Anderson, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997XLT
I have a '97 XLT, 4x4, 4.0 SOHC that has developed a knock similar to a rod knock. It rattles when started, subsides, then comes back when warmed up. I have been told by two people that it may be the torque converter bolts or nuts if used are loose it will make a knock that can sound like a rod knock. I have looked under and around the tranny, and do not see a way to inspect the torque converter. Does the tranny need to be unboled and slid back, or can I remove the starter, and check through that opening?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a '97 XLT, 4x4, 4.0 SOHC that has developed a knock similar to a rod knock. It rattles when started, subsides, then comes back when warmed up. I have been told by two people that it may be the torque converter bolts or nuts if used are loose it will make a knock that can sound like a rod knock. I have looked under and around the tranny, and do not see a way to inspect the torque converter. Does the tranny need to be unboled and slid back, or can I remove the starter, and check through that opening?

You have to remove your starter. Once you remove your starter, you'll be able to see and tighten, one at at time, the 4 nuts that hold the torque converter to the flywheel. You may need/want a second person to help you with this. You will have to turn the engine by the crank bolt(CLOCKWISE!! never go counterclockwise!) wich will turn the flywheel. It will be difficult to rotate the engine because of its compression. It is doable though. If its to difficult, you could remove the spark plugs to relieve the compression, but that is also more work:rolleyes: Hope this helps.

Adam.

It sounds like it is the timing chain problem that SOHC are known for.

It sounds like it is the timing chain problem that SOHC are known for.

They were replaced last spring. When the engine is warm the knock will be noticable and rhytmic like a rod knock. When the engine is cold other than the clatter at start up it is not audible. After getting down the road a bit, and everthing starts warming up the knock comes back.

I was able to get the starter off, and check the nuts on the torque converter. They were all tight.

Any ideas other than a rod knock?

if you turn the motor the reverse way it fires, it WILL take the motor out of time. resulting the timing being out from the crank and cams. in other words you will bend valves and all sorts of nasty things. i learned that the hard way.

I'm 54 years old been working on cars sense I was 11.I've worked on merceds sabbs fiat mg jags triumph WTF were these people thinking. If I don't get this running I have a 400+ HP olds 350 I'll tuck in there until I can afford another **** Over Hill Catastrophic. Oh fyi already have too much in this to quit

Back