How to disassemble cruise buttons?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to disassemble cruise buttons??

booksix

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Mountaineer
I have a 2005 Explorer steering wheel (with cruise, hvac and audio buttons) behind the 03 Mustang dash in my 1988 Thunderbird and I need to modify the resistors in the cruise buttons to properly operate the thunderbird's cruise system. I was looking at the buttons and there are no seams in the case, leading me to believe everything is assembled from the front before the actual buttons are locked in. Has anyone ever popped the button faces off and if so, is there a trick so nothing is broken (they were fairly expensive on eBay)? Thanks!

Im not 100% on the 04 cruise buttons, but I had to take apart a set from my 96 to replace the bulbs.

It is tricky to get apart.

Think of it in 3 layers

The black base
The circuitry
The rubber buttons

The circuit board fits up into the back of the rubber buttons, and then the buttons are pressed into the base. The buttons have 4 hook shaped tabs that "snap" into the holes on the base

The problem is that the circuit board is up between these tabs, and keeps outward pressure on the tabs such that the hook part doesn't move in and the buttons fall off. If the buttons are any bit dried out or deteriorated, they will fall apart in in the process. I ended up getting a couple from a local junk yard.

Thanks! I was actually able to get the button faces off but it was tough and a few little plastic tabs broke; should be ok though. Now I just need a T8 torx to get at the back of the circuit board. It's gonna be pretty tough adding wires and changing resistors in there!! It's extra tough cause all five buttons are on one side so they are really little!

You'll have to post some pictures.
I cant imagine the amount of work putting an explorer column in a mustang dash in a t-bird?? you have guts!:thumbsup:

Back