2003 Mountaineer cruise control "off" and "decel" buttons inop, and od off inop | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Mountaineer cruise control "off" and "decel" buttons inop, and od off inop

expressonate

Reaction score
City, State
Eau Claire, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Mercury Mountaineer
Hello, tracing down a few issues on an 03 mountaineer.

Its got around 164k miles on it.

The ABS light was comming on inttermittently, traced it back to the rear abs sensor. Also found that the cruise control was compleatly inop, and it had codes for brake pressure switch. Upon asking the owner, she said that the cruise had been inop for at least a year.

Replaced rear abs sensor, and brake pressure disconnect switch. No more light, and, cruise works mostly.

The slow down button, and the off button are inop. Two seperate buttons. Both are inop. Any ideas?

Also, transmission solonoid failed. Long story short, 6 weeks after dropping it off at the shop that rebuilt the transmission (or claimed to have) rebuilt it 6k miles ago, the o/d off button on the end of the gearselector doesnt work.

The first time I picked it up with concerns of no 4th gear, and slamming into gear (with pressure solonoid codes) they replaced the 4th gear band, and alledgedly the solonoid pack. Picked it up, 6 miles later od off flashing, check trans light on, and no 4th gear. Also noted the keyless didnt work, the power seat didnt work, and the radio stayed on. 3 weeks after that, I picked it up. Claimed the solonoid failed again, and this time blew a fuse controling said items. I dont want to take it back. The owner seems to have the IQ of a dead dog. Not interested in giving up the vehicle for another 3 weeks.

Any ideas on what would cause the O/D off button on the gearshift to not work?
Any ideas on what would cause the cruise control buttons for off, and decelerate to not work?

Vehicle goes into overdrive fine. Cruise shuts off with application of the brakes.

Thanks
~Nate

Back