• Register Today It's free!

how to drain or siphon tank on 94

offroadford4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Lewisberry, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Eddie
I want to empty out my tank on my sploder. I filled the tank on friday night, then saturday morning on my way to work, I wrecked it. It's probably beyond repair (for road use anyhow), I started workin on it, but hate the idea of a full tank just sitting there. I tried to siphon it out but hose would only go so far and stop. I don't want to do any permanent damage in case I repair it for the road or make a trail only rig out of it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can disconnect the fuel filter and put a chunk of hose on it then jump the relay for the fuel pump. Only do a few gallons at a time to allow the pump to cool. Be especially careful once the fuel level drops. The gas actually cools the pump so when its not completely submerged you can burn it up

Yup that was going to be my suggestion pull the hose off the filter and turn the key. Like gallon mr_valingo said only a gallon or two at a time or risk burning up the pump. Good luck!

Turnin the key takes forever. Have someone turn the key on while you listen under the hood in the fuse box for the relay to click. Pull the relay and use a jumper wire

ok, thanks yall. I'll give that a shot here one of these days and let you know how it works out.

A little bit longer solution, but if you want something for future use you can make a pump for transferring gas from any tank to any other tank. I made one to drain my Mustang's fuel tank before service and it's easy.

You'll need a low pressure inline electric fuel pump (just a cheapo, like a $10 carburetor fuel pump). About 6 feet of rubber hose (5 feet on one end, a foot on the other). A cheap inline fuel filter. Finally a way to power it; I used a cigarette lighter adapter from Radio Shack that comes with 8 feet of wire and has a built in on/off switch and 10A fuse. Some hose clamps for the connections.

Put it together and you have a pump with filter that can move fuel or water from one container to another. Mine cost me about $24 total and I have used it to transfer gas from one car to another, from a car to my lawnmower, and car to gas can.

^those also work great for gear lube and tranny fluid.

use the fluid transfer pump and disconnect the fuel inlet hose and slip it in there.

Back