How To: Drop Spindle for 2nd Gen

syn-

Reaction score
City, State
orlando, fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt - wip
http://explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92582

After going through the above post, I decided that I am going to research to get the same thing mr. andrew was talking about getting done but without a failure to produce some visual aide.

Parts:
Energy Suspension ball joints
F150 Spindles (Front confirmed, Rear not yet)
F150 Front Brake Rotors
17" - 20" wheels (My guess due to the larger brake rotor)
Note: Year to year swap was said to work for spindles and rotors but 97-04 are candidates to swap with 2000 being ideal.

Fabrication:
Steering limiters, were welded in place to ensure there was no damage to the rim.

Build Notes:
Preston said the ball joints were flat on both sides from what he remembered, also the ball joint was indeed mounted upside down. He also mentioned that the spindles (F150) were switched Left on Right, and Right on Left. He mentioned they did the same lift explorers. Now if this is correct not only do we have a better way to lower keeping tie rods straight and better ride. This should also produce a option for a brake upgrade. In the original thread Andrew (OP) said the cost was about 800. Bringing this up, Preston mentioned it was due to buying the spindles, rotors, (and possibly calipers? don't know if an Explorer caliper fits an F150 rotor) from Ford as new parts.

Questions for the experts:
1. Will an Explorer caliper except an F150 rotor?
2. Anyone have some spindles, rotors, and calipers for sale from an F150?
3. Overall thoughts on the new info?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This sounds very interesting.

Tell me about it, I read those 8 pages this morning and was just sorta dumbfounded by the lack of.. well no pictures. Still looking for a deal on parts.. and quite possibly Ryan to chime in since he is the only one I know of with modified spindles on a lowered ex

Did anybody end up trying this afterall?

And yes I know it's been dead for 4 years lol

I have always wondered if there was another spindle we could swap to myself but it for sure it won't be bolt on with an f150 knuckle. The lower ball joint would bolt right on but the overall length of the spindle would be too short and cause camber issues I would think. Not to mention the upper ball joint wouldn't work at all since they are completely different styles. The tie rod and brakes would be easiest, they would work with minimal modifications.

I would look at moog replacement upper control arms with serviceable ball joints for the explorer if you were considering trying it. Then get the replacement upper joints for an f150 and go from there. I'm sure some machine shop work will be needed to make them fit.

Back