Camburg 6" for 2nd gen Explorers/Ranger Edge | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Camburg 6" for 2nd gen Explorers/Ranger Edge

white96x

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Rancho Cuc,Ca(home) SLO,Ca(school)
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 E.B.
Camburg 6" Explorer Pics!!

Anyone running this kit? I've been doing some research and i'm probably gonna go through with it, a lot better engineered than the pro comp or fabtech spindles. Camburg uses a uni-ball upper A-arm with a 3.5" spindle, you could even op for a dual shock mount.. looks sweet.Anyways the only issues will be extended front brake lines, i need these custom made b/c as far as i know no one makes them, and another issue is larger front rotors i talked to Mike at Camburg and he said that the spindle doesn't run well with the smaller explorer rotor b/c it's designed for the ranger rotor which is larger...What do you guys think about all this??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you can say goodbye to your checks in your check book :)
Camburg is worth every penny, you should NEVER even include them in the same paragraph as Fabtec or Pro Comp.

You need to do more research:
www.Dezertrangers.com

Also is your 97 AWD, 4wd or 2wd?

if i were you i would go with it, i thought the kit came with the longer brake lines though. if you the rotors and the brake lines are the only thing stopping you from getting the kit i would go ahead and get it. bigger rotors shouldnt be too hard to find and i cant imagine that the brake lines would be that expensive. i would also go ahead and spend the extra money for the dual shock tower, ive heard its a world of difference.....just my 2 cents

410-i'm 2wd...the reason for the "upgrade"(i guess you would call it) is b/c 1)i have almost no travel up front 2)when i come to a stop or make a turn i get this horrible binding coming from the front suspension, i've tried to pinpoint it but can't i thought it was the caliper hitting the arm but it's not that so i'm basically fed up with the current set up and will basically just do it right this time....and yes there are extended lines included in the kit but when i talked to the guys at camburg they said that the ranger lines are different than the explorer lines..

i have that kit. except its made by mcneil offroad and i have the three inch spindle. its pretty tough, i launch my truck maybe five times a week and drive home happy. its super plush, ive got longer arms then the camburg kit to push out my negative camber, i cycle probably 14 inches of travel in the front. even with my fiberglass fenders i still rub!

btw, white96x u comin out to pismo may 20th for the meet?

don't know if i can make the trip yet....does the McNeill A-arm work with a pro comp or fabtech spindle?

oh ya and how much did it run?...i still think i wanna go camburg that kit is so bad ass, is that mcneill arm uniball or balljoint? i remeber seeing the setup the last time i was up there, but that was a while ago..

the mcneil arm will work with the procomp and fabtech spindles, this last weekend i just picked up an upper arm with uniballs that bolted right to my procomp spindles, i didnt get mine from mcneil but still the same set up. if i could do it all again i would have gone with camburg because a few of my friends have the ranger 5.5 kit on their trucks and they beat the **** out. so far one of them has bent both lower a arms and crossmember but have done no damage to the camburg stuff. go with camburg

dave -where did you get the arms..i just wanna check 'em out

its a one inch uniball white96x..., so big dave, wuts so different about your kit and the camburg kit? u should be able to beat the sh*t out of ur upper uniball kit. unless ur still runnig ball joints?

i got my kit for 1200 installed cause i was the first one with it to test it out. my buddy has a 02 edge and has the camburg upper arm kit. its exactly the same except camburg runs but the uniball is horizontal on the fords while i run the uniball vertical like a tacoma uniball arm.

i should have pics of it this weekend white96x so ill pm you wen i get them. there really is no difference between my kit and the camburg kit,(it actually looks exactly like yours clarkkent!). i have not been able to try it out yet, but dont get me wrong im sure it will hold up the same as the camburg kit. the only reason i would have gone with camburg is because i could have had the entire front end done with one kit instead of getting a spindle kit, the locating somebody to make an arm and also having to limit it. just would have been easier, and also camburg has an incredible reputation for their work and customer service.

cool cool. bigdave r u comin to pismo may20th?

sweet. so back to the thread, sorry white to jack ur thread for a bit.

u should get that kit, its the best kit you can get without ditching the torsion bars.

clarkkent said:
u should get that kit, its the best kit you can get without ditching the torsion bars.

agreed. especially since it comes as a complete kit. i dont think you will be dissapointed.

arvin-did you call mcneil for the arms or what? and ya the camburg kit has horizontal uniballs, i don't know about the mcneil though never seen it....where did you get your arms from dave? they custom made or what?

yeah i got mine custom made by some guy in san diego but i cant find the damn picture of them to post up, they bolted right to my spindle and were just over 600 for the arms and uniballs

mcneil has my old uniball arms for sale. just ask him. they're just sittin in his shop.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what do you mean "old uniball arms" what are you running then, a different arm? whats different about the arms you have the the ones sitting at Mcneil?

Back