How to: Fix Rear Door Handle | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Fix Rear Door Handle

That's pretty similar to a problem I have with my X, but mine is from the outside. For whatever reason, I can't open the door from the outside but I can from within on the driver's rear door. When I opened her up, I noticed the plastic connector from the exterior door had fractured off of the latch, is that part available from Ford or am I going to have to use cable ties...again... ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't see why it wouldn't be available from Ford, though repairing it sounds like a tougher job then the inside handle is.

Hey Matt, any tips on getting that door panel back on? That's the hardest part of the whole thing, my handle works fine, I just can't get that dang panel back on.

Hey I want my 15 minutes also ! ! !

ive had this problem before on my left side passenger side door and it cost bout $14 at the dealer and a 1/2 hours work taking the paneling and all off and replacing and not it seems that my back right passenger handle is starting to go and is getting hard to open at times, like you pull it out and it seems like it only unlatches at the very end of pulling on the handle with a little force which will probably eventually lead to it breaking again so heres my question, anyone have any ideas on fabricating these handles into something more robust?

for the outside one, any pics? otherwise just take it into the dealer, likely they have cheap replacement part for it

The outside door handle? that sounds like a lot more work.

regarding fabbing a tougher inside door handle, that sounds like a lot more work then its worth. the lousy ford ones last a few years and cost $14 and about half an hour to fix, not worth the time to get a better one.

jayhawkexplorer said:
I don't see why it wouldn't be available from Ford, though repairing it sounds like a tougher job then the inside handle is.

Make sure you didnt break any of the tabs, so just line em up and punch it back in.... Thats works for me ;)

Hey ya'll, we got put in the list of useful threads!!!

:chug: Heck yeah we did Matt; I pm'd Ray and he put us in there a couple days ago. That's my first one in the useful threads, I think we deserve a beer :chug:

jayhawkexplorer said:
:chug: Heck yeah we did Matt; I pm'd Ray and he put us in there a couple days ago. That's my first one in the useful threads, I think we deserve a beer :chug:

Ill toast to that! :chug:

:banghead: Would Matt or Jay or any of you who had this problem and fixed it, take some time for us mechanically challenged members and write a list of instructions for fixing the rear door problem. I have had this problem for about 2 years and recently my second rear door went also.

By the way this is my first post, so hello all.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the site!

Step 1: Remove the two black screws holding the handle in, right in the middle of the door.
Step 2: Remove the door panel by carefully pulling out all the plugs holding it to the door. Easiest way is with a removal tool but by hand works too.
Step 3: Here you can either disconnect the wires from the window/lock assembly or you can slip the assembly through the door panel to get the panel out of the way.
Step 4: Remove the two screws holding the handle in place and be sure to note how the handle is attached to the mechanism inside the door.
Step 5: Put the new handle in just like the old one was, reattach the screws, and the problem should be solved.
Step 6: Put everything back together. The hardest part will probably be reattaching the door panel. With mine, the white plugs that hold the panel on were all still attached to the door rather then to the panel. Use a pliers to carefully pull the plugs out and put them back into the slots on the panel. Carefully reinstall the panel, make sure to push all the plugs into place so the door doesn't rattle.

Hope that helps!

i am currently having the same problem on my 94 explorer xlt going to the parts department tomorrow thanks for the help guys

got the same problem on my x, thanks to this thread i can fix it now :D i will pull it apart this weekend and tell u gouys how it went :roll:

Your door handle is broken. I had the same problem and I went to the junk yard and got a new handle and replaced the broken one. The dealer wanted to much for a new one.

$13.45 is too much? I guess do what u want to do, but if you got it from a junkyard it wasn't "new" and in a week you might have the same problem again.

I had this problem twice. Dad took to dealer way back in 98’ and they charged 100 bucks to fix. :fire: When I got the explorer it happened to me and I called the nearest ford dealership and got the handle assembly for 12 bucks. Only 15 min of work and boom...fixed. :D Cheap plastic parts are to blame!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My problem with the 97 XLT is a rear door that is permanently locked. How to remove the panel without destroying the parts? As I recall, that door was a little difficult to close once and then became permanently locked. The lock button is in the down and locked position. Can such a rear door with the child restraints be opened using a slim jim or similar tool? Mark... baileybc@bendcable.com

Back