How to: Fix Rear Door Handle | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Fix Rear Door Handle

Baileybc said:
My problem with the 97 XLT is a rear door that is permanently locked. How to remove the panel without destroying the parts? As I recall, that door was a little difficult to close once and then became permanently locked. The lock button is in the down and locked position. Can such a rear door with the child restraints be opened using a slim jim or similar tool? Mark... baileybc@bendcable.com

Any auto door will sell "panel poppers" its basically a big flat head with a groove in it to get on the grommets. Feel your way around the edge and just pop out each one. Make sure you unscrew the two screws under the door handle before you start. Once on the grommets are out, lift up and over the door lock and thats it. It take about 2 minutes total. There should be the child switch on the inside of the door jam just slide that up or down to adjust.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ya, so, mine have been broken for a while too. i'm gonna hit up the dealership soon. this is VERY useful....

Thanks

same problem here too lol both back doors wont open from the inside but the outside is fine i thought it was just the child lock cause they were always in never taken out the whole time of the previous owner and i was gonna rip the all out but this thread helped lol lata guys thanks

I had the same problem on my left hand rear, I went to my ford dealership and replaced it myself for $10.

i found out that it aint my door handles i took them apart and its somthing to do with the door latch its self cause i closed the latch while the door was open and it wouldnt open either way and i pulled the lock up hard and it opened up from the outside like there was no problem so im gonna take the door latch off that parts x and put them in it and see if it fixes the problem

Back