how to get the rear drivers door open | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how to get the rear drivers door open

dream102271

Reaction score
City, State
salem,or
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xlt awd
i was hoping that someone can tell me how to get the rear door on my 97 explorer open i have gotten the rear panel off and tried to manually open it to no avail is there some trick to getting it open

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any backround info you can give us on why it's locked shut?

Was there any lock/latch work done recently? Was the claw 1/2 closed, and then the door was shut?

Or did this just stop working one day....

Ryan

Any backround info you can give us on why it's locked hut?

Was there any lock/latch work done recently? Was the claw 1/2 closed, and then the door was shut?

Or did this just stop working one day....

Ryan

we bought the explorer used and the door was like that when we bought it so i have no idea what was done i was hoping to fix it without having to take it to a shop

Same issue, looking at it now - ever figure yours out?

I had a similar issue. What I had to do was roll the window down and while trying to open the door from the outside, reach in and manually lock and unlock the door at the same time. It turned out the linkages in the door from the handle and the lock were rubbing each other and preventing the door handle linkage from opening the door. A well placed spring in the door now keeps the two linkages separate and the door works perfectly.

Back