How to install mechanical oil pressure gauge in a 98 Merc Mountaineer 5.0? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to install mechanical oil pressure gauge in a 98 Merc Mountaineer 5.0?

angelfly

Reaction score
City, State
Duvall, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer
well just as the title says, I'm trying to figure out where to exactly run the oil line from the motor, I already have the gauge itself installed but I've only been able to locate info on installing electric oil pressure gauges.... I've seen people with mechanical gauges installed in there 5.0 stangs, even have a buddy whose dad has 1 in his 95 5.0 stang but he travels constantly for work and i havent been able to contact him for any insight or advice on the subject so I'm coming here.

Its becoming a more urgent matter to address as my rig has started leaking oil from the rear main and a couple others areas over the last couple of months and with the motor having over 200,000miles on it I really would like to have the gauge working as at least a somewhat early warning system before the motor grenades itself or sumthing terrible like that especially since i got another month of saving before i can fix the oil leaking issue!

So any help or advice on this matter would be extremely appreciated! Thanx ahead of time for anything you guys can throw my way.

Step one, run high mileage oil, it will help swell the seals and maybe slow those leaks. Step 2 throw that gauge in the garbage can and get an electric one. I had a line blow off my mechanical gauge and it dumped a massive amount of oil all over my interior years ago. If you do keep the mechanical gauge get a braided line. Don't use the crappy plastic one they all come with, mine cracked and made a huge mess.

I used a mechanical gauge in my Tbird. It worked well and was easy to read (near full sweep of the gauge face). But I concur, don't use the plastic line they come with. Use a flexible copper line (better) or a braided line (best). Make sure your connections are snug but not too tight. I don't know about the Explorer but on my Tbird there was a place for a sending unit near the oil filter adapter. Another side note I thought strange. I used the flexible copper line (be careful not to kink it) and I kept hearing a vibration inside the car. When I ran the copper line through a rubber hose the sound went away. Guess the rubber insulated the copper.

The factory gauge is already a "Go - No Go" device. If the oil pressure drops too low, the gauge will drop to nothing and the engine light will come on. Don't let the engine run if the pressure gets that low.

Changing the oil seals are a big deal, the rear engine and front trans, those require R&Ring the engine or trans.

Do use the best oil and try something which will help the seals. Fix actual leaks always, and use extra gauges to better monitor things as needed.

Back