How to program your Intelligent Access key | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to program your Intelligent Access key

Grace C

Reaction score
City, State
Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Limite
I bought my 2013 Explorer Limited in 2015. I received two keyfobs. One doesn't work at all. Replaced the battery and it still doesn't work. I'm thinking they gave me one that wasn't programmed. Wouldn't surprise me. Wasn't happy with the dealership at all. When I search for the keyfob on Ford it isn't the one I have. I have the long one that goes with the newer cars. I wanted to try to program the second one myself. The problem is that it says in order to program you need two programmed keyfobs in the car when you program another one. I only have one working keyfob. How do I program the second one if I only have one key?

My daughter is turning 16 in a couple of weeks and she will be carrying the other one. Wanted to program it for her and don't want to spend $70 at Ford.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Grace

Hi Grace. If you only have one programmed key fob then Manual says that the dealer has to program a second one. In your case I would go back to the dealership and advise them that one of the fobs they gave you doesn't work and isn't the correct one and see what their response is. Since quite some time has passed, you may be out of luck getting it replaced for free. You could try following the Manual as to how to program a 2nd key. Even though the key doesn't work, it still might be programmed and hopefully will be recognized. You can try that first and then if it still doesn't work, go to the dealer. Since the one that doesn't work seems to be for a later model year, I don't know if they will be able to program it for your Explorer or not. Good luck.

Peter

Back