Smart key programming issue. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Smart key programming issue.

kevino

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014/2015 Explorer Sport
This might sound a little strange but I was doing it so myself and my wife would not have to mark the keys to remember which one was for which vehicle. It would also reduce pocket/purse clutter.

I have a 2014 Explorer Sport (With 3 smart keys programmed) and 2015 Explorer Sport (with 2 smart keys programmed). All are OEM smart keys for the push button start.

I decided that it would be nice to program 1 of the keys from the 2015 to the 2014 so I would only have to carry one key (And program 2 from my 2014 to the 2015). All went well with programming 1 of my 2015 keys to the 2014 (Reaching the max of 4 keys).

In the 2015, I went through the training process and it never let me in the learn mode to even try to program the 2 keys from the 2014. After checking things out, it appears that in learning 1 of my keys to the 2014, that it somehow unlearned the 1 key from the 2015's memory.

Does this make sense? It seems as though 1 key cannot be programmed to 2 different vehicles. Now I cannot get my 2015 into the learn/train mode to even do anything with it.

Do I need to now take it to the dealership to get this resolved?

I would think if this is the case, there should be a warning to not try and program a key from 1 vehicle to another vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No it does not make sense. You cannot unlearn a key (with intelligent access) without going to Ford or a locksmith, as per the owner's manual.

But now you already have a key programmed to both cars, right?

From my own experience, I have 1 remote programmed for my MKX & my brother's 2012 Explorer limited. If the cars are parked close, the remote start would even start both cars at the same time.

This makes sense if I want to remove one of the keys from the 2014 model which I am not.

With the 2015 model, why would it lose one of the original OEM remote/keys that came programmed with the vehicle? The Start/Stop button never flashed to say I was in the program mode as the manual states, it just somehow lost one of the remotes in its programming memory.

I will be planning on going to the dealership to bring one of my remotes back into the 2015 since you need 2 to perform this step, but why would it lose it in the first place? I have heard of other users programming a remote to 2 separate vehicles, so what happened to cause this issue now and can a remote key be programmed for 2 different vehicles? If so, this should have worked flawlessly.

.....I have heard of other users programming a remote to 2 separate vehicles, so what happened to cause this issue now and can a remote key be programmed for 2 different vehicles? If so, this should have worked flawlessly.
I'm not aware of a remote being able to be programed to work with 2 vehicles. Not saying it hasn't been done, I just don't recall it being done.
I doubt it would be possible since each fob would contain a unique code for the vehicle it was designed for.

Peter

This makes sense if I want to remove one of the keys from the 2014 model which I am not.

With the 2015 model, why would it lose one of the original OEM remote/keys that came programmed with the vehicle? The Start/Stop button never flashed to say I was in the program mode as the manual states, it just somehow lost one of the remotes in its programming memory.

I will be planning on going to the dealership to bring one of my remotes back into the 2015 since you need 2 to perform this step, but why would it lose it in the first place? I have heard of other users programming a remote to 2 separate vehicles, so what happened to cause this issue now and can a remote key be programmed for 2 different vehicles? If so, this should have worked flawlessly.

In the left instrument cluster screen, under settings > MyKey > MyKey Status, you should see the number of Admin & MyKey keys. Check to make sure how many total number of keys are still programmed.
Looking at how many identical keys you have, is there a chance you might mistakenly mixed them up?

I'm not aware of a remote being able to be programed to work with 2 vehicles. Not saying it hasn't been done, I just don't recall it being done.
I doubt it would be possible since each fob would contain a unique code for the vehicle it was designed for.

Peter

I have programmed the same key to both, a 2011 MKX & a 2012 Explorer Limited. The same key would unlock both cars & even remote start simultaneously if they parked close to each other.

Edit: Of course, both cars should be able to use the same key to start with. Some newer Fords (especially in my region) started using 433MHz frequency versus 315MHz used previously.

UPDATE:

Evidently you can only program the Smart Key Remotes to one specific vehicle at a time with the 2014 and 2015's. I ended up taking my 2015 Explorer Sport and 3 smart keys (2 original 2015 and 1 extra 2014) to the local Ford dealer and told them I needed them synced to this vehicle since somehow it lost one of the originals being able to unlock at the door and have the vehicle recognize it as an authorized key. Strange part, you could still remote unlock/lock and remote start the 2015 with the key.

Remember, with one of these original 3, one was programmed to my 2014 Explorer Sport at home upon leaving for the dealership. Upon returning home, the key that came with the 2015 that I had programmed as an extra to the 2014, now did not work anything with the 2014.

What this means is, that a remote evidently communicates 2-way since no programming was changed with the 2014 but it no longer worked with the remote that worked that morning before leaving with no changes on the 2014. The only thing changed was with the 2015 Explorer programming. Must be a on/off type switch internal on the remotes that allows them to work with only one vehicle at a time.

Back