• Register Today It's free!

How to Replace the Thermostat?

Donnie1

Reaction score
City, State
Sedalia, Mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 2000 Explorer XLT with the 4.0 SOHC and was going to replace the thermostat yesterday and was just wondering how in the world do you get the back 2 bolts out? Do I have to remove the intake system? Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did one on my 2000 with 4.0 SOHC and I think I had to remove the intake cover and then I think I could use 1/4 drive with just the right length extention.

By intake cover, you mean the plastic cover right? I removed that but was still unable to reach the back 2 bolts with no matter what I tried.

That thread was helpful however, mine is an SOHv which means there are 4 bolts on teh thermostat housing whic I can't seem to get to with all the garbage over top of it. I have not tried a swivel socket or a flex extension yet but to be quite honest I don't think there is room for those either. The Hayne's manula makes it look and sound simple by only removing the breatehr hose from the throttle body however, in there picture it shows the intake off. :thumbdwn:

with out the right tools it is a nightmare
Some shallow sockets, swivels and wrenches are the hot ticket.

It's just as easy to pop the intake off.... it's only a couple of screws and a couple of vacuum hoses.... not a big job at all.

FWIW, I did mine without removing it. I found that a 1/4" socket, 1/4" universal joint, and 1/4" flexible extension (all available at Sears) did the trick for me (without removing the intake tube)

Good luck!!

-Joe

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to try those out. It's not a pressing issue at the moment, it's just taking a little longer to warm up than what I think it should and I saw the article on gas mileage that sucks and someone suggested the thermostat stuck open which required the engine to run richer and try to warm up. Mine is doing just that, gas mileage sucks and it's taking a little longer to warm up. If that makes sense.

Back