How to: Replace your sway bar / stabilizer bar bushings and end links | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Replace your sway bar / stabilizer bar bushings and end links

Thanks very much for the posting with pictures detailing the process. I just replaced a broken link and it was an easy job thanks to the info in your posting.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gonna have to agree with you there Dan! Too pricey for me as well.

Does anyone know if the solid sway bar from a 98-00 Ex will fit in place of the tubular one on a 95-97 model?

Great write up!! Just finished mine. Someone had posted about having one side not having enough threads on the bolt to start the bottom nut. I had the same problem on my passenger side (driver side has the lean from drivers weight, fuel tank weight, etc.) I'd read others suggest jacking up control arm, etc. Easiest way to close the gap between control arm and top of sway bar is to drive up on a couple stacked 2 x 4's on the wheel you need the room on and you've got all you need to start the nut. Just drive back off wood blocks before final tightening.

rear sway bar

Do you have a thread on how to change the rear sway bar bushings on a 1998 explorer?

I didn't realize how heavy that bar is. Holy cow that thing is solid steel and weighs like 45 lbs. Putting that thing back on is gonna be a serious workout.

sorry, I didn't mean to post anything

My local dealer said I should not be replacing the link (not sure what it is called as, the short metal part that connects to the wheel assembly) with an after-market part as it does not have bushings on it and the part will not be as strong as the OEM). As a novice I find it difficult to determine what parts to choose for my 97 5.0 at Rock auto...anyone have advice as to what to choose. Is the blue bushing more-resilient or stronger then the original?

Is there a post like this for replacing all the bushings on the rear of the truck as I'm looking to do that also?

97 5.0 AWD

Also, are any of these bushings better then one another for my truck?

bushing.JPG

My local dealer said I should not be replacing the link (not sure what it is called as, the short metal part that connects to the wheel assembly) with an after-market part as it does not have bushings on it and the part will not be as strong as the OEM). As a novice I find it difficult to determine what parts to choose for my 97 5.0 at Rock auto...anyone have advice as to what to choose. Is the blue bushing more-resilient or stronger then the original?

Is there a post like this for replacing all the bushings on the rear of the truck as I'm looking to do that also?

The originals on mine didn't look especially (more) durable compared to anything other hardened bolt with same diameter. Get the same length and rubber bushings (black) again instead of urethane unless you want a tighter sway control which some people don't. I have never done a direct /appropriate test comparison but I suspect urethane (often blue, red, and other colors) would last longer.

A few thoughts...

part # 45G0022 as pictured looks to have either a zinc plated bolt or is not hardened. Probably the latter. If the former that might be good (my original link bolt rusted through causing failure) but if the latter, not so good. Rubber bushings. Doesn't seem to be priced higher for any particularly good reason.

# 5451022 looks good unless you want rubber bushings

#MCS18555 no detail and it might be almost twice as expensive due to being only one link per part #. See no reason to pick this one unless you can find more info.

# 5451022B Raybestos' cheaper kit, probably not hardened bolts and rubber bushings seem to be pictured although the description reads "blue" but I think the description is wrong at the price.

# MK7275 single link kit (buy two), looks like urethane bushings as pictured and probably non-hardened bolt at this price.

The most expensive at $24, # 5451022 looks best. More info, major brand, hardened bolt spec but do you want urethane bushings?

The rest look about the same except for urethane vs rubber bushings, what brand do you trust most? The mevotech MK7275 (two of them) looks like the best value if you want urethane bushings.

As for the sway bar bushings, same situation picking softer shorter lived black rubber or stiffer blue urethane (Moog is calling them "thermoplastic"). Think I'd pick the Raybestos rubber or urethane.

The Raybestos pro grade body mounts are probably the best there, the end links are not shown. Get professional grade if possible.

End links are replaced all the time- your dealer is trying to sell you some ridiculously priced OEM end links. Millions of people are running aftermarket end links every day.

The ones in the thread are Moog's, and I'm pretty sure I see bushings on them... :)

Thanks! Very thorough and extremely helpful!

Again, a great write up Joe!

Got all my parts, and am heading to a friends heated garage this morning around 9 todo my bushings and end links. After that, I just need shocks and ill pretty much have a new front end!

How about that rear bumper?

<snicker>

:D

I dont know what your talking about. I have a bumper!

im trying to replace my end links today and im having problems getting the nut to fit on the bolt it seems the bolt is a couple inches to short any suggestions?

Make sure the other side is not tightened all the way. This gives you some play then pry down on the sway bar till you get the nut started.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back